Information for New Users regarding Equipment Training and Usage
**Users who wish to use our instruments via usage with assistance or need further advice on whether training is needed, please email us @ email@example.com with the questionaire available below, with any literature for our reference.
- Click [here] to download questionnaire.
*Only official NTU staff with NTU Staff card; Students and Exchange students with NTU matriculation card, are allowed to use train and operate FACTS equipment independently.
*With the use of FACTS equipment, users must first read & abide by the policies set out at the policies page. Penalties apply for non-compliance.
*All NTU users must meet the below requirements for Equipment Training.
List of requirements and notes:
A. Safety training
Administrative requirements and Equipment Theory Qualification
Practical Training and Instrument Access
[ A. Safety training ]
Users must complete the below safety requirements, before registering for equipment training:
- Complete all required E-Learning modules and lab orientation -
- Please click [here] for more info on the safety requirements to be cleared.
- Users intending to use XRD, XPS or XRF must pass additional modules for Ionising Radiation.
[ B. Administrative, Sample requirements and Equipment Theory Qualification ]
Before registering for practical training:
- Please email us your filled up questionaire and safety transcript, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also attach any literature related to your project for our reference.
This will help us further advise you on your project requirements, as you prepare for training.
Your safety transcript is available on STMS system on GSLink/StudentLink and Workday for NTU Staff.
- Click [here] to download questionnaire.
- Click [here] to find out on the safety modules required & how to print out the e-learning safety transcript from Workday/GSLink/StudentLink.
- Samples must be ready for characterisation.
- Users are reminded to conduct Risk Assessment for their work, especially for sample handling in FACTS. Any hazardous samples must be declared to FACTS staff before this enters the premises.
- Users must pass the respective theoretical OMNI SEM/TEM/XRD quiz.
a) To register an OMNI account
-- For FYP students, click [here] -
-- For Research Staff and Post-graduates, click [here]
b) To access OMNI quiz, click [here].
***For training literature on SEM/TEM/XRD/XPS, please visit [here].
- Equipment Usage and Training is chargeable. Please seek approval from your supervisor, and do note that financial arrangements may have to be made before training.
[ C. Practical training and instrument access]
- Note: TEM, FE-SEM, FIB, XPS and XRD cluster 2 instruments are only for Postgraduate students and research staff. Undergraduates have access only to the Thermionic SEM and XRD Cluster 1.
- Users must clear their Safety requirements, Theoretical OMNI quiz and have their samples ready before registering for practical training. Please inform the respective Scientists that you've cleared these requirements.
- Users intending to use the scanning EM should find out if they need the
Thermionic-SEM or FE-SEM before requesting for training.
Generally, non-conductive samples with feature size < 500 nm may require the FE-SEM.
Users intending to perfom XEDS on SEM should be aware of the spatial resolution limits of this technique. Our FACTS staff can advise you accordingly if you have questions or doubts on this.
- After passing Theoretical OMNI quiz:
- For XRD training, please register online at the [X-ray cluster training].
- For FE-SEM training, please email Dr Derrick Ang (DAng@ntu.edu.sg)
- For Thermionic-SEM training, please email Alan Lim (email@example.com)
- For TEM training, please email Dr Tay Yee Yan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- For FIB training, please email Dr Xi Lifei (email@example.com)
- For XPS training, please email Dr Teddy Salim (firstname.lastname@example.org) & Dr Liu Weiling (email@example.com)
- Practical training will be arranged, according to details on confirmation email sent by the respective Scientists.
- A FOM account is needed for instrument access.
Please sign in for the first time in CEBS-FOM at http://cebs.ntu.edu.sg if have not done so .
- There will be assessment during practical training.
Access to instrument will be given only when user shows satisfactory performance during assesment.
- Users must comply with the directives indicated in the FACTS Lab General Usage Briefing notes
[ click here to access briefing notes.]
- User can apply for lab entrance card reader access to FACTS, after passing practical training.
Please click [ here ]for more information on lab card access.
Do note that only trained users will be granted card access to FACTS.
With the use of FACTS equipment, users must read and abide by the policies set out at the
policies page. Penalties apply for non-compliance.
[ D. Important Notes: ]
- Practical training includes technical handling and also assessment on user's ability to understand proper operational requirements. This is to avoid system damage due to mishandling and to address other health and safety concerns. Users are advised to be well prepared before coming for practical training.
English is the language of instruction used for training. Trainees are expected to comprehend all training and instructions given by FACTS staff.
Access will be automatically removed after training due to inactivity, if users do not meet the below minimum requirement:
- SEM/XRD users: at least
3 hours within the first
30 days of training
- FIB users: at least 8 hours within 60 days after training
- TEM users: at least
2 sessions within
first 3 months of training .
To regain access, user must wait for the following month to go for retraining.
There will be charges for retraining.
If there is no usage of instrument
within 365 days from the last usage, access will be automatically removed by the FOM server. Retraining with charges is applicable in this case.
If a user uses an instrument booked under the name by a different user,
this constitutes as unauthorized usage. Penalties including access removal to
ALL FACTS equipment will apply. Users are advised to request FACTS staff to change the booking to the correct user, instead of simply allowing access to someone who needs the access.
*For further enquiries, please contact: