Information for New Users on Equipment Training and Usage
Only official NTU staff with NTU Staff card; Students and Exchange students with NTU matriculation card, are allowed to use FACTS facilities.
For access to FACTS instruments, all NTU users must meet the below listed requirements.
List of requirements and notes:
A. Safety training
Administrative requirements and Equipment Theory Qualification
Practical Training and Instrument Access
[ A. Safety training ]
Before registering for equipment training:
- MSE Lab users must have attended MSE Lab Orientation.
For Non MSE users, a separate lab safety briefing for FACTS will be conducted.
- All users must have completed the required
E-Learning Safety Courses in NTULearn.
All users intending to use XRD or XPS must pass additional modules for Ionising Radiation on NTULearn.
Click [here] for more information on the safety modules to be cleared.
[ C. Practical training and instrument access]
- Please note that TEM, FE-SEM and XRD cluster 2 instruments are only for Postgraduate students and research staff.
- Users must clear their Safety requirements, Theoretical OMNI quiz and have their samples ready before practical training. Please inform the respective Scientists that you've cleared these requirements.
- After passing OMNI quiz:
- For XRD training, please register online at the [Equipment Training Schedule].
- For FE-SEM training, please email Dr Derrick Ang (DAng@ntu.edu.sg)
- For Thermionic-SEM training, please email Alan Lim (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- For TEM training, please email Dr Tay Yee Yan (email@example.com)
- Practical training will be arranged, according to details on confirmation email sent by the respective instructors.
- A FOM account is needed for instrument access.
Please sign in for the first time in CEBS-FOM at http://cebs.ntu.edu.sg if have not done so before.
- There will be assessment during practical training.
Access to instrument will be given only when user shows satisfactory performance during assesment.
- Users must comply with the required directives indicated in the FACTS Lab General Usage Briefing notes
[ click here to access briefing notes.]
- User can apply for lab card reader access to FACTS, after passing practical training.
Please click [ here ]for more information on lab card access.
Do note that only trained users will be granted card access to FACTS.
With the use of FACTS equipment, users must read and abide by the policies set out at the
policies page. Penalties apply for non-compliance.
[ D. Important Notes: ]
Only official NTU staff with NTU Staff card; students and exchange students with a NTU matriculation card are allowed to use FACTS facilities.
- Practical training includes technical handling and also assessment on user's ability to understand proper operational requirements, in order to avoid system damage and other health and safety concerns. Users are advised to be well prepared before coming for practical training.
English is the language of instruction used for training. Trainees are expected to comprehend all training and instructions given by FACTS staff.
Undergraduate students are only allowed to use the Thermionic SEM and XRD Cluster 1 (Shimadzu XRD) equipment.
- SEM/FESEM/XRD users must use at least
3 hours within the first
30 days of training, or their access will be automatically deactivated.
- TEM users must use at least
2 sessions within
first 3 months of training before access is automatically removed.
To regain access, user must wait for at least the following month for retraining.
There will be charges for retraining.
If there is no usage of instrument
within 365 days from the last usage, access will be automatically removed by the FOM server. Retraining with charges is applicable in this case.
For booking of instruments, users are encouraged to cancel the booking early if they do not need the slots. Charges will still apply if users cancel booking
within 24 hours or fail to turn up for usage thereafter.
If a user uses an instrument booked under the name by a different user,
this constitutes as unauthorized usage. Penalties including access removal to
ALL FACTS equipment will apply. Users are advised to request FACTS staff to change the booking to the correct user, instead of simply allowing access to someone who needs the access.
Users will bear the cost of any equipment damage and will be instrument will be revoked for any misuse.
User are responsible for their data generated with instruments. FACTS will not be responsible for any data loss. In this regards, users are recommended to export their data out to their personal cloud storage immediately after data capture.
*For further enquiries, please contact: