Information for New Users regarding Equipment Training and Usage
**Users who wish to use our instruments via usage with assistance or need further advice on whether training is needed, please email us @ firstname.lastname@example.org with the questionaire available below, with any literature for our reference.
- Click [here] to download questionnaire.
*Only official NTU staff with NTU Staff card; Students and Exchange students with NTU matriculation card, are allowed to use train and operate FACTS equipment independently.
*With the use of FACTS equipment, users must first read & abide by the policies set out at the policies page. Penalties apply for non-compliance.
*All NTU users must meet the below requirements for Equipment Training.
List of requirements and notes:
A. Safety training
Administrative requirements and Equipment Theory Qualification
Practical Training and Instrument Access
[ A. Safety training ]
Before registering for equipment training:
- Users must complete the required E-Learning Safety courses in NTULearn.
- Users intending to use XRD or XPS must pass additional modules for Ionising Radiation on NTULearn.
- MSE Lab users must have attended MSE Lab Orientation.
For Non MSE users, a separate lab safety briefing for FACTS will be conducted - it is not necessary to register for MSE Lab Orientation.
- Click [here] for more info on the safety requirements to be cleared.
[ C. Practical training and instrument access]
- Note: TEM, FE-SEM and XRD cluster 2 instruments are only for Postgraduate students and research staff. Undergraduates have access only to the Thermionic SEM and XRD Cluster 1.
- Users must clear their Safety requirements, Theoretical OMNI quiz and have their samples ready before registering for practical training. Please inform the respective Scientists that you've cleared these requirements.
- Users intending to use the scanning EM should find out if they need the
Thermionic-SEM or FE-SEM before requesting for training.
Generally, non-conductive samples with feature size < 500 nm may require the FE-SEM.
Users intending to perfom XEDS on SEM should be aware of the spatial resolution limits of this technique. Our FACTS staff can advise you accordingly if you have questions or doubts on this.
- After passing Theoretical OMNI quiz:
- For XRD training, please register online at the [Equipment Training Schedule].
- For FE-SEM training, please email Dr Derrick Ang (DAng@ntu.edu.sg)
- For Thermionic-SEM training, please email Alan Lim (email@example.com)
- For TEM training, please email Dr Tay Yee Yan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- For FIB/EBSD training, please email Dr Lek Jun Yan (email@example.com)
- For XPS training, please email Dr Teddy Salim (firstname.lastname@example.org) & Dr Liu Weiling (email@example.com)
- Practical training will be arranged, according to details on confirmation email sent by the respective Scientists.
- A FOM account is needed for instrument access.
Please sign in for the first time in CEBS-FOM at http://cebs.ntu.edu.sg if have not done so .
- There will be assessment during practical training.
Access to instrument will be given only when user shows satisfactory performance during assesment.
- Users must comply with the directives indicated in the FACTS Lab General Usage Briefing notes
[ click here to access briefing notes.]
- User can apply for lab entrance card reader access to FACTS, after passing practical training.
Please click [ here ]for more information on lab card access.
Do note that only trained users will be granted card access to FACTS.
With the use of FACTS equipment, users must read and abide by the policies set out at the
policies page. Penalties apply for non-compliance.
[ D. Important Notes: ]
- Practical training includes technical handling and also assessment on user's ability to understand proper operational requirements. This is to avoid system damage due to mishandling and to address other health and safety concerns. Users are advised to be well prepared before coming for practical training.
English is the language of instruction used for training. Trainees are expected to comprehend all training and instructions given by FACTS staff.
- SEM/XRD users must use at least
3 hours within the first
30 days of training, or their access will be automatically deactivated.
- TEM users must use at least
2 sessions within
first 3 months of training before access is automatically removed.
To regain access, user must wait for the following month to go for retraining.
There will be charges for retraining.
If there is no usage of instrument
within 365 days from the last usage, access will be automatically removed by the FOM server. Retraining with charges is applicable in this case.
If a user uses an instrument booked under the name by a different user,
this constitutes as unauthorized usage. Penalties including access removal to
ALL FACTS equipment will apply. Users are advised to request FACTS staff to change the booking to the correct user, instead of simply allowing access to someone who needs the access.
*For further enquiries, please contact: