|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Chong Yi Dong
Associate Professor, School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences
Assistant Chair (Communications)
Phone: +65 63162967
Office: SPMS-PAP 04 02
|Y. D. Chong graduated from Stanford University in 2003 with a BSc in Physics, and a BSc in Mathematical and Computational Science. In 2008, he obtained a Ph.D in Physics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. From 2009-2011, he worked as a postdoctoral researcher at Yale University. In 2012, he received the Singapore National Research Foundation (NRF) Fellowship and joined the faculty of the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences at Nanyang Technological University.|
|The focus of my research is topological photonics, a new field of photonics dealing with optical structures that support "photonic topological edge states": exotic electromagnetic waves that are qualitatively different from regular waves, analogous to electronic wavefunctions in topological insulator materials.|
I am also interested in non-Hermitian photonics: photonic devices that exhibit qualitatively distinct behaviors in in the presence of optical amplification and/or dissipation. One such behavior is the phenomenon of "coherent perfect absorption"—the complete absorption of light via waveform tuning—a concept that I helped to develop.
I am also interested in several other areas, including the physics of random lasers, the theory of waves in lattices (e.g. Berry phase effects), nanoplasmonics, and computational electromagnetics.
- Application of Machine Learning to Complex Photonics
- Designer Random Quantum Cascade Lasers: Disordered Photonics In Mid-IR and THz
- EOM TOP-UP
- Nonlinear Topological Photonics
- Quantum and Topological Nanophotonics
- Denis G. Baranov, Alex Krasnok, Timur Shegai, Andrea Alù, and Yidong Chong. (2017). Coherent perfect absorbers: linear control of light with light. NATURE REVIEWS MATERIALS, 2, 17064.
- Wenchao Hu, Jason C. Pillay, Kan Wu, Michael Pasek, Perry Ping Shum, and Y. D. Chong. (2015). Measurement of a Topological Edge Invariant in a Microwave Network. Physical Review X, 5, 011012.
- G. Q. Liang, Y. D. Chong. (2013). Optical Resonator Analog of a Two-Dimensional Topological Insulator. Physical Review Letters, 110(20), 203904.
- Y. D. Chong, Li Ge, Hui Cao, and A. D. Stone. (2010). Coherent Perfect Absorbers: Time-Reversed Lasers. Physical Review Letters, 105(5), 053901.
- Zheng Wang, Y. D. Chong John D. Joannopoulos, and Marin Soljačić. (2009). Observation of Unidirectional Backscattering-immune Topological Electromagnetic States. Nature, 461, 772.
« Back to Research Directory