|Academic Profile |
| || |
Dr Zhao Yan
Senior Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences
Phone: +65 65141901
Office: SBS 03S 62
|Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, NTU
Research Scientist, National University of Singapore
Research Fellow, National Cancer Center, Singapore
Postdoctoral Fellow, Genome Institute of Singapore
Research Scientist, MediPearl Pte Ltd, Singapore
Postdoctoral Fellow, Pathophysiological Laboratory, BUCM, PRC
The main emphasis of our research is focused on deciphering the signal transduction pathways of drug resistance and apoptosis as it pertains to in cancer biology. Using novel (TCM herbal extracts) and established chemotherapeutic agents we are currently working on the signal transduction pathways that are crucial for inducing apoptosis in cancer cells. The role of histone deacetylase, prenylation, methylation and acetylation inhibitors are currently being investigated as therapeutic agents in the treatment of a variety of cancers. In addition, putative proto-oncogenic transcription factors, like those of Kruppel-like family of transcription factors are being investigated for their role in tumorgenesis. In trying to decipher signal transduction pathways, we are currently in the process of establishing a first order transcriptional network for these transcription factors. In conjunction with expression profile analysis, we also make use of shRNA libraries, HTS (high-throughput screening) and global transcription factor binding site analysis to answer some of the basic biology underlying drug resistance and apoptosis.
Anti-cancer effects of extracts prepared from Chinese herbal medicines
Anti-diabetic effects of extracts prepared from Chinese herbal medicines.
Toxicity and pharmacokinetic studies on herbal extracts.
Established in vivo models for senile dementia and ischemia-reperfusion on rats.
Patho-physiological studies on a new TCM therapy for senile dementia.
Mechanistic studies on ischemia-reperfusion injury.
- Identifcaiton and characterization of molecular markers for chemo-resistance and metastasis in common cancers
- Identification and dissection of mechanistic action of anticancer multidrug resistance reversal agents from a natural product library
- Y Zhao. MS Hamza,HS Leong.C_B lim,Y-F Pan.E Cheung,K-C Soo and NG Iyer. (2008). Kruppel-like factor 5 modulates p53-independent apoptosis through Pim1 survival kinase in cancer cells. Oncogene, 2008 Jan 3(27(1)), 1-8.
- Zhao Y, Tan J, Zhuang L, Jiang Xia, Edison Tak-bun Liu,Qiang YU. (2005). Inhibitors of histone deacetylases target Rb-E2F1 pathway for apoptosis induction through transcriptional activation of proapoptotic protein Bim. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS), 102, 16090-16095.
- ZhaoYan, Xu Shijie, Huang Qifu. (2002). Changes of Metabolism in Reperfusion of Rats with Cerebral Ischemia and the Effects of STFCT. Chinese Journal of Basic Medicine in Traditional Chinese Medicine, 8(9), 23.
- Cai DaYong, ZhaoYan, Huang Qifu. (2002). Damage of Primary Cultured Neuron Cells by D-galactose. Zhongguo Bingli Shengli Zazhi, 18(7), 794.
- LiYan, ZhaoYan and Huang Qifu. (2002). Mechanism investigation of lou disease on diabetic nephpropathy. Chinese Journal of Basic Medicine in Traditional Chinese Medicine, 8(3), 3.