|Dr Zhang Songjian earned his PhD in Chinese Studies from National University of Singapore where he was awarded NUS President‘s Graduates Fellowship and Graduate Studies Scholarship as well. Afterwards, he worked as a Post-doc Research Fellow at Tsinghua University and as an Associate Professor at Capital Normal University based in Beijing. He was the recipient of numerous grants and foundations, the funding agencies include Tsinghua University, China Ministry of Education, China Ministry of Human Resources, and Beijing Council for Humanities & Social Sciences, etc. He received the honour “Tsinghua University Distinguished Post-doc Research Fellow ”. He was awarded “Excellent Book Prize for Humanities and Social Sciences”. |
Dr Zhang joined NTU as a senior Assistant Professor. He received a number of grants, e.g. NTU Start-Up Grant, CCK Foundation, Lee Foundation, NAC R & D Grant, NTU Incentive Scheme Grant, MOE Tier 1 Grant, and Research Grant for Foreign Scholars in Chinese Studies. He was visiting scholar at Harvard University (2016) , Leiden University (2017) , National Taiwan University (2019), and the Centre for Chinese Studies, Taiwan (2019). He was awarded "Excellent Paper Prize of the Year 2016" by a top journal Modern Chinese Literature Studies.
Dr Zhang's research areas are modern and contemporary Chinese literature, Southeast Asian Chinese-language literature, East-West comparative literature, and critical theory. He published 4 monographs with sole authorship, the publishers include Peking University Press, China Social Sciences Press, and World Scientific Publishing. His fifth monograph will come out in 2019. His papers appear in Tier 1, CSSCI, THCI, SCOPUS, A & HCI journals. There are at least 17 reviews of his books so far.
Dr Zhang has been invited to deliver lectures at a number of academic institutions worldwide, e.g. Harvard University, Tsinghua University, Macau University, National Dong Hwa University, National University of Singapore, Capital Normal University, Museum of Modern Chinese Literature, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore Confucius Institute, Beijing Normal University, Nankai University, Shanghai Normal University, Shanghai Theatre Academy, Jinan University, South China Normal University, Xi'an Jiaotong University, Shaanxi Normal University, Minzu University of China, Wuhan University, Xia'men University, The Centre for Chinese Studies (Taiwan), and National Taiwan University.
Dr Zhang had media appearance. He got interviewed by Lianhe Zaobao (2015, 2018, 2019) , Boston No. 1 Chinese Radio Station (2016), Forum for Chinese Literature of the World (2018), Jiangnan (2018) , Chinese and Western Poetry (2019).
- Zhang Songjian. (2019). Historical Memory and Cultural Identity: A New Study of Overseas Chinese Literature. Beijing: Peking University Press (forthcoming).
- Zhang Songjian.(2018). Du Yunxie: A ‘’Naughty Child in Poetic Scene and His Light Verses. In You Youji(Ed), Collected Essays on Dun Yunxie as One of the "Nine Leaves Poets"(426-434). Fuzhou: Haixia wenyi Publisher.
- Zhang Songjian, Teo Sum Lim. (Ed.). (2018). Sing'Phone: An Anthology of Singapore's Chinese PoetrySingapore: CCLC of NTU; World Scientific Publishing.
- Zhang Songjian, Teo Sum Lim. (2018). The Footprints of Muse: Singapore’s Chinese Poetry in Retrospect, 1965-. Forum for Chinese Literature of the World, (Issue 2 of 2018), 62-72.
- Zhang Songjian. (2017). "The Tastes of Asia": Ping-Kwan Leung, Foodscape, and the Politics of Representation. Frontiers of Literary Studies in China, Vol. 12(No.4), 739-775.