|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Werner Botha
Assistant Professor, School of Humanities
Phone: +65 65921564
Office: HSS 03 47
|After his PhD focusing on English in China's higher education, Werner now works as Assistant Professor in the division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies at Nanyang Technological University. His main areas of research include world Englishes, language variation, and sociolinguistics.|
|Dr. Botha's research interests include the use of English in Asian higher education, educational linguistics, multilingualism, and language variation, with particular reference to the Asian region. Recent publications include articles on English in higher education and sociolinguistic variation.|
- An Investigation into the English-language Communication Skills of University Students in Singapore
- Investigating the multilingual worlds of university students in Singapore and South Africa: A comparative study
- The Use of English as a Medium of Instruction in South Korean Universities
- Bolton, Kingsley and Werner Botha.(2019). Multilingualism and language mixing among Singapore university students. Multilingual Education Yearbook(In press). Dordrecht: Springer.
- Botha, Werner. (2019). 'Technically wrong leh': Leh as a feature of Singapore Colloquial English. English Today, Early View, 1-10.
- Botha, Werner. (2018). A social network approach to particles in Singapore English. World Englishes, 37(2), 261-281.
- Botha, Werner. (2017). The use of English in the social network of a student in South China. English Today, 33(4), 19-29.
- Bolton, K., & Botha, W. (2017). English medium instruction in Singapore higher education: Policy, realities and challenges. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 38(10), 913-930.
« Back to Category Write-up