|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Vu N. Duong
Professor of Aerospace Engineering, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Professor (Practice), School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Director, Air Traffic Management Research Institute, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE)
|Vu Duong is Professor of School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering and Director of Air Traffic Management Research Institute of Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. Prior to this assignment, he had been Director and Chair Professor of Systems Science at John von Neumann Institute of Viet Nam National University Ho Chi Minh City. Vu had been Head of Innovative Research then Senior Scientific Advisor at EUROCONTROL (1995-2012), and a member of European Commission’s SESAR JU Scientific Committee (2010 – 2012); Research Scientist at Schlumberger Lab for Computer Science (1990-1995).|
Vu is a recognized leader in Air Traffic Management research. During his service time with EUROCONTROL he had contributed to the advances of air transportation that included research that have led to Airborne Separation Assistance Systems, Autonomous Aircraft Operations, Super-Sectors and Sector-less Air Traffic Management, Trajectory-based Control, and numerous work on the foundation of Air Traffic Flow Management. He is the co-founder of International Conferences in Air Transportation Research (ICRAT); EUROCONTROL Innovative Research Workshops (now named SESAR Innovation Day); and co-chaired the prestigious US/EUROPE Air Traffic Management R&D Seminars. He has published more than 80 articles in peer-reviewed journals and conferences, and supervised more than 20 Doctoral Theses in Operations Research, Systems and Computer Science applied to Air Traffic Management. He had been member of the editorial board of Air Traffic Control Quarterly, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, and a Guest Editor of Elsevier Transport Research Part C. He has also taught at Ecole Patriques des Hautes Etudes, Telecom-ParisTech, University of Science of Vietnam National University Ho Chi Minh City.
Vu studied at Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées of France where he obtained the degree of Master in Engineering in 1986, and Ph.D. in Artificial Intelligence in 1990. In his free time, Vu practices Marathon and Triathlon. He is currently President of Viet Nam Triathlon Club and an IRONMAN Ambassador.
|My research interests are in the junction of Air Traffic Management, Artificial Intelligence, Complex Systems Modelling, and Data Analytics.|
- ATMRI Administrations, Facilities and Operations (1st Extended Term)
- ATMRI Programmes (1st Extended Term)
- Exploratory Studies and Emergence Technologies (NTU's Funding)
- Duc-Thinh Pham, Man Ngo, Thanh-Nam Tran, Sameer Alam, and Vu Duong. (2019, October). A data-driven approach for taxi-time prediction: a case study of Singapore Changi airport. Paper presented at ENRI International Workshop on ATM/CNS (EIWAC) 2019.
- Ngoc Phu Tran, Duc-Thinh Pham, Sim Kuan Goh, Sameer Alam, Vu Duong. (2019). AIAA/IEEE Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC): Multi-aircraft Cooperative Conflict Resolution by Multi-agent Reinforcement Learning. AIAA/IEEE Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC)IEEE.
- Sim Kuan Goh, Ngoc Phu Tran, Duc-Thinh Pham, Sameer Alam,Kurtulus Izzetoglu, and Vu Duong. (2019). International Conference on. Human-Computer Interaction: Construction of Air Traffic Controller’s Decision Network Using Error-related Potential. International Conference on. Human-Computer InteractionSpringer.
- Hasnain Ali, Yash Guleria, Sameer Alam, Michael Schultz and Vu Duong. (2019). In Proc. Thirteenth US and Europe ATM R&D Seminar 2019: Impact of Stochastic Delays, Turnaround Time and Connection Time on Missed Connections at Low Cost Airports. Thirteenth US and Europe ATM R&D Seminar 2019Vienna, Austria.
- Duc-Thinh Pham, Ngoc Phu Tran, Sameer Alam, Vu Duong, Daniel Delahaye. (2019). A Machine Learning Approach for Conflict Resolution in Dense Traffic Scenarios with Uncertainties. Thirteenth USA/Europe Air Traffic Management Research and Development Seminar (ATM2019).