|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Kuo Szu-Yu, Arista
Assistant Professor, School of Humanities
|Arista Kuo is an Assistant Professor of Translation Studies in the Division of Chinese, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. Prior to that, she carried out her PhD studies at Imperial College London and worked as a teaching fellow at the Centre for Translation Studies, University College London. Arista is also a freelance translator, interpreter and subtitler, and has been involved in a variety of projects in diversified fields, including finance, business and commerce, law, politics, innovation and technology, cultural and creative industries, and of course, films.|
|Audiovisual translation, subtitling, translator training, translation quality assessment, and cross-cultural communication.|
- The (In)visible Driving Force on Screen: Subtitling Quality from the Audience’s Perspective
- Translation and Politics in the People's Republic of China in the 1950s and 1960s: its Significance to Modern Translation Studies
- Kuo, S. Y. Arista.(2017). Subtitling Quality Beyond the Linguistic Dimension. Routledge Handbook of Chinese TranslationLondon: Routledge.
- Kuo, S. Y. Arista. (2017, July). Subtitling the Singlish Language: Strategies, Rationales, and Implications. Paper presented at The 8th Asian Translation Traditions Conference, SOAS, University of London.
- Kuo, S. Y. Arista. (2017, March). The Singlish Language in Subtitles: Between Localisation and Globalisation. Paper presented at The Translation and Localisation Conference, Sound Garden Hotel, Warsaw, Poland.
- Arista S. Y. Kuo.(2015). Professional realities of the subtitling industry: The subtitlers’ perspective. Audiovisual Translation in a Global Context: Mapping an Ever-changing Landscape(163-191). London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Arista S. Y. Kuo. (2015, September). An Exploration of Practical Factors in Subtitling Quality. Paper presented at The 6th Media for All International Conference, University of Western Sydney.
« Back to Category Write-up