|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Ong Soon Keong
Assistant Professor, School of Humanities
Phone: +65 65923762
Office: HSS 03 23
|Born and raised in Singapore, Ong Soon Keong received his BA(Hons) from the National University of Singapore, and Master and PhD from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Cornell University. He specializes in the history of modern China and Southeast Asia, with particular research interest in Chinese migration, overseas Chinese communities, and trading ports. Prior to joining NTU, he taught at the University of Missouri-Columbia and the University of North Florida in the United States. He is currently working on a manuscript about Xiamen and its emigrants from the mid-nineteenth century to the mid-twentieth century.|
|Chinese migration and the overseas Chinese|
Modern Chinese history
Chinese urban history
Treaty ports, especially Xiamen
- "Chinese but not Quite": Huaqiao and Overseas Chinese Predicaments
- Shop-houses(Qilou) in Singapore and Southern Fujian: Migration and Material Culture in Republican China
- “Culture to Bind the Immigrants”: Allaying Discontents and Integrating New Chinese Immigrants in Singapore
- Ong Soon Keong. (2020). ‘To be or not to be Chinese’: Lim Boon Keng and the Politics of Identity.. China and Asia: A Journal in Historical Studies , 1(3).
- Ong Soon Keong. (2019). Review of Shelly Chan [Review of the book Review of Shelly Chan] The China Review.
- Ong Soon Keong. (2017). The Spectre of Huaqiao: Revisiting Overseas Chinese-China Relationship, 1900-1945. ISSCO Regional Conference.
- 王纯强.(2017). 序二. 他乡的圣人 -- 林文庆的儒学思想(3-6). China: Guangxi Normal University Press.
- 王纯强 (Ong Soon Keong). (2017). 约莫是华人 -- “华侨”与海外华人的边缘化. Huaren Yanjiu Guoji Xuebao 华人研究国际学报 (International Journal of Diasporic Chinese Studies) , 9(1), 41-66.
« Back to Category Write-up