|Academic Profile |
| || |
Dr Sujata Surinder Kathpalia
Senior Lecturer, School of Humanities
|Dr Sujata Kathpalia is a Senior Lecturer at the Language and Communication Centre (LCC), Nanyang Technological University and she is a member of the LCC Management Committee. She is the coordinator of the scientific communication courses and she teaches academic writing courses to undergraduates and postgraduates. Details about her teaching, honours and awards, committee work and research are provided below. |
Communication Skills Courses (Nanyang Technological University): English Proficiency, Technical Communication, Professional Communication, Effective Communication, The Art of Academic Writing, Introduction to Critical Thinking, Scientific Communication I and II, Graduate English, and Research Communication for Graduate Studies
General Electives (Nanyang Technological University): Reading, Thinking and Communication, Effective Public Speaking, and Language Puzzle: The Study of Human Language
English Language Courses (National University of Singapore): Introduction to Language, Introduction to Modern Grammar, Varieties of Written and Spoken English, and English for Academic Purposes
Honours and Awards
2003: 10 Years Long Service Award from NTU
2008: 15 Years Long Service Award from NTU
2014: 20 Years Long Service Award from NTU
2015: National Day Commendation Award from the President of the Republic of Singapore for contribution to education in Singapore
2018: Nominated for the SOH Lecturers Excellence (LEX) Award for AY2018/19
Language and Communication Management Committee
Curriculum Committee for Undergraduate Scientific Communication Courses
Curriculum Committee for Postgraduate Communication Courses
Research Committee (Research Mentor and Lead Editor of LCC Working Papers)
Search Committee for Part-time Appointments
Committee for Course Matching, College of Science
|Her conference presentations and publications are mainly in the areas of Genre/discourse analysis of academic and non-academic genres, Innovative teaching methodology and classroom strategies, English for Specific Purposes, Teaching English as a second language, Research on academic writing and World Englishes. Her research projects and selected publications are as follows:|
MOE Tertiary Education Research Fund 2016 (S$ 156,547), Co-PI
NTU EdeX Grants 2015-2016 (S$ 40,000), Team Member
NTU EdeX Grants 2013-2014 (S$ 50,000), Team Member
International Commercial Arbitration Practices: A Discourse Analytical Study 2007-2010, City University of Hong Kong, International Collaborator
The United Nations Development Project of the Government of Singapore 1986-1987, National University of Singapore, Research Associate
The Spread of English in Singapore 1987, National University of Singapore, Research Associate
- Evidence-Based Teaching of Literature Review Writing
- Kathpalia SS, Ong KKW, & Leong PA. (2020). Communication needs of science graduate students. RELC Journal, Doi: 10.1177/, 003368822152.
- Kathpalia, Sujata S. (2018). Neologisms: Word creation processes in Hindi-English code-mixed words. English World-Wide, 39(1), 34-59.
- Kathpalia, Sujata S. (2017). Review of the book Critical genre analysis: Investigating interdiscursive performance in professional practice [Review of the book Review of the book Critical genre analysis: Investigating interdiscursive performance in professional practice] Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 28, 50-51.
- Kathpalia, Sujata S., Eng Kiat See. (2016). Improving argumentation through student blogs. System, 58, 25-36.
- Kathpalia, Sujata S. and Kenneth K. W. Ong. (2015). The use of code-mixing in Indian billboard advertising. World Englishes, 34(4), 557-575.