|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Tai Kang
Associate Professor, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
|Dr Tai obtained his B.Eng.(1st Class Honours) in Mechanical Engineering from the National University of Singapore in 1990, after which he worked as a product design engineer for more than two years in the consumer electronics division of Philips Singapore. In 1992 he was awarded the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) Overseas Scholarship to pursue his Ph.D. at the Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine in London, after which he returned to Singapore in 1995 to join NTU as a faculty member and he is currently an associate professor there. From 2001 to 2004 he was also concurrently appointed as a faculty fellow of the Singapore-MIT Alliance. He is a member of ASME and ISSMO. He teaches various undergraduate and postgraduate courses in design, design optimization and finite element analysis. His research interests are in design automation, optimization, genetic/evolutionary algorithms, computational geometry, system identification and mathematical modeling of industrial processes. He has also published more than seventy peer-reviewed technical papers in international journals and conferences.|
|design automation, design optimization, multiobjective optimization, structural optimization, topology optimization, shape optimization, evolutionary computation, genetic and evolutionary algorithms, computational intelligence, discrete and combinatorial optimization, compliant mechanisms, flexural mechanisms, finite and boundary element analysis, paperboard packaging, folding and unfolding of 3D folded structures, flat pattern design, computational geometry, UAV trajectory planning, sensor network deployment, probability collectives, collective intelligence, system identification, mathematical modeling|
- Development of Innovative Industrialization Procedures for Minimization of Costs and Lead Time in the Development of Nano and Micro Satellites
- Optimal Controller of Fuel Cell Powered Hybrid Electric System for Marine Applications
- Optimal Structural Design of Wind Energy System
- Liu, W., Tai K. (2007). Optimal Design of Flat Patterns for 3D Folded Structures by Unfolding with Topological Validation. Computer-Aided Design, 39(10), 898-913.
- Tai K., Akhtar, S. (2005). Structural Topology Optimization Using a Genetic Algorithm with a Morphological Geometric Representation Scheme. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 30(2), 113-127.
- Wang, S.Y., Tai K. (2004). Graph Representation for Structural Topology Optimization Using Genetic Algorithms. Computers and Structures, 82(20-21), 1609-1622.
- Tai K., Cui, G.Y., Ray, T. (2002). Design Synthesis of Path Generating Compliant Mechanisms by Evolutionary Optimization of Topology and Shape. Journal of Mechanical Design, 124(3), 492-500.
- Ray, T., Tai K., Seow, K.C. (2001). Multiobjective Design Optimization by an Evolutionary Algorithm. Engineering Optimization, 33(4), 399-424.