|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Laura Miotto
Associate Professor, School of Art, Design and Media
|Laura Miotto is an award winning exhibition designer and educator. With 15 years of experience, in the field of design both as a creative director and an architectural designer Miotto has worked on the creation of a multitude of permanent and temporary exhibitions. Her focus is on heritage interpretation and design strategies that involve the sensorial experience in the context of museums, thematic galleries and public spaces.|
Among her projects, the Living Galleries at the National Museum of Singapore received the Design Exchange Award in Canada in 2007 and Quest for Immortality: The World of Ancient Egypt was Design of the Year 2010 in Singapore (President Design Award).
In addition to her role at ADM she is Design Director of GSM Project in Singapore, an international firm specialised in exhibition design originated in Montréal, Canada.
Recent exhibition projects include:
Trees of Life. Knowledge in Materials, NTU CCA, Singapore (2018)
Incomplete Urbanism: Attempts of Critical Spatial Practice, NTU CCA, Singapore (2016)
Port Cities: Multicultural Emporiums of Asia, 1500-1900, Asian Civilization Museum, Singapore (2016)
Artist and Empire, National Gallery Singapore (2016)
Treasures of the World from the British Museum, National Museum of Singapore (2015/16)
History Gallery, National Museum of Singapore (2015)
Natural History Museum, Lee Kong Chian, Singapore (2015)
Indian Heritage Centre, Singapore (2015)
|My research interests span the areas of:|
• theories, methods and design processes used in exhibitions design and spatial narratives in the context of museums and public places
• understanding Exhibition Design historically and in relation to the new socioeconomic realities of Singapore and other modern Asian societies
- A New Generation of Narrative Environments. The Development of Exhibition Design In Museums And Public Spaces In Singapore And Southeast Asia
- Laura Miotto. (2017). 22nd International Conference on Virtual System & Multimedia (VSMM): Using scents to connect to intangible heritage. Engaging the visitor olfactory dimension: three museum exhibition case studies. International Conference on Virtual System & Multimedia (pp. 304-308)IEEE Xplore Digital Library.
- Laura Miotto.(2016). Quest for immortality the world of ancient Egypt. What is the responsibility of a Designer to the community or society?. In Wu, Daren and Yeo, Ricky eds.(Ed), President’s Design Award 2006-2015 * A Decade of Design Excellence(224-225). Singapore: Design Singapore Council and the Urban Redevelopment Authority.
- Laura Miotto.(2011). Laura Miotto. State of the Arts - 54th International Art Exhibition Venice BiennaleMilan: Skira.
- Laura Miotto, Savina Nicolini. (2011). Lina Bo Bardi: a design glossary.Jongsarsitek, 4 (11), 3.
- Laura Miotto.(2011). Quest for Immortality - The world of Ancient Egypt. President’s Design Award 2010(142-161). Singapore: Design Singapore Council and the Urban Redevelopment Authority.
« Back to Category Write-up