|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof I Lo-fen
Associate Professor, School of Humanities
Phone: +65 67906303
Office: HSS 03 03
I LO-FEN is an Associate Professor (with tenure) in the School of Humanities at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore and was the Head of Division of Chinese from 2014 to 2016.
She is the Founder and Honorary President of the Text and Image Studies Society in Singapore. It is a social service organisation with the mission of sharing the academic research results to the public. She has also been an invited columnist for Lianhe Zaobao, Singapore's largest Chinese newspaper since 2007.
She completed her PhD from National Taiwan University in 1995 and thereafter worked at the Institute of Chinese Literature and Philosophy, Academia Sinica in Taiwan as a researcher before joining Nanyang Technological University in 2006. She has taken up many appointments abroad as visiting scholar and co-researcher in reputable universities, such as Sungkyunkwan University, The University of Tokyo, Kyoto University, National Nara Women’s University, and Stanford University.
Her research interests lie in Text and Image Studies, East Asian Literature and Culture, Singapore Studies, and Chinese poet Su Shi (1037-1101) Studies. Text and Image Studies methodology is her most important academic achievement. Text can be defined as how people express themselves; image refers to the media text is presented. It provides a way of seeing from classic art to social media. Her research articles have been published in both Chinese and English, and also translated to Japanese and Korean
Her research accomplishments include the publication of nine academic books, single authorship of 14 creative literary books, as well as more than 100 journal papers and book chapters; recent publications include:
• The Art of Su Shi's Calligraphy (Shanghai Classics Publishing House, 2019).
• Gorgeous Nanyang: Arts, Advertisements, Crossover Singapore (2016. Presentation & Participation Grant of Singapore National Art Council, Selected One of the Best Books by Lainhe Zaobao, 2016).
• East Asia Observation (2014. Excellent Book Award, National Museum of Taiwan Literature, 2015).
• Of Cloud Shadows and Celestial Light: Poems and Paintings of the Landscape of Xiao Xiang (2013).
• and Citationality in Chinese Literature and Art (2011. Selected One of the Best Ten Books of Literature and Image Studies across the World by Nanjing University).
For more information, please browse https://nanyang.academia.edu/lofen
|Text and Image Studies|
Chinese Poetry and Visual Art
Chinese Literary Works on Paintings
Su Shi Studies
Interchange of East-Asian Culture and Literature in Classical Chinese
Asian Visual Culture and Aesthetics
- Poems and Diplomacy: Cross-Cultural Communication in East Asia
- Taiwan Studies and Cultural Interaction
- The Spirit of Chinese Brushwork & Crafts
- I, Lo-fen. (2016). Gorgeous Nanyang: Arts, Advertisements, Crossover Singapore 南洋風華：藝文．廣告．跨界新加坡. Global Publishing.
- I Lo-fen. (2013). Of Cloud Shadows and Celestial Light: Poems and Paintings of the Landscape of Xiao Xiang 雲影天光：瀟湘山水之畫意與詩情. Li Ren Publishing Co.
- I Lo-fen. (2012). Exploration of Art藝林探微：繪畫．古物．文學. East China Normal University Press.
- I Lo-fen. (2011). Intextuality and Citationality in Chinese Literature and Art遊目騁懷：文學與美術的互文與再生. Li Ren Publishing Co.
- I Lo-fen. (2004). Observation, Description, Appreciation: Studies of Tang-Song Writings on Painting觀看．敘述．審美─唐宋題畫文學論集. Taipei: Academia Sinica Institute of Chinese Literature and Philosophy.
« Back to Category Write-up