|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Hortense Le Ferrand
Nanyang Assistant Professor, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Assistant Professor, School of Materials Science & Engineering
|Dr. Le Ferrand received an Ingénieur Degree from the Ecole Supérieure de Physique et de Chimie Industrielle de la ville de Paris (ESPCI Paris), France in 2012 and a Master Degree in Materials Science from ETH Zürich (Switzerland) in 2013. In January 2017, she graduated from ETH Zürich with a PhD in Materials Science on the fabrication of bio-inspired materials. Before joining the Center for Biomimetic Sensor Science at NTU as a visiting postdoctoral scholar, she stayed at the school of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Purdue University, IN, USA to study morphing structures. Beginning 2019, she joined the schools of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and of Materials Science and Engineering of NTU as an assistant professor.|
|Dr. Le Ferrand’s research is focused on the design and fabrication of hard and dense composite and ceramic materials and structures able to achieve new combinations of structural and functional properties. The materials and structures to deliver have applications in biomedical, robotics and aerospace industries. Areas of current interest are:|
- Controlled manipulation of nano and microparticles
- Development of novel additive manufacturing technologies for dense composites
- Investigation of densification methods in complex-shaped hierarchical matter
- Relationships microstructural design, composition and density, and macroscopic properties
- Multi-scale characterization methods.
- 3D Printing of hierarchical composites
- 3D printing of bio-inspired mechano-sensing skins for large structures
- Additive manufacturing of resilient, strong and functional composites through bio-inspired microstructures
- Assessing crystallographic information in metals via optical microscopy
- H. Le Ferrand, F. Bouville. (2019). Processing of dense bio-inspired ceramics with deliberate microtexture. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, .
- H. Le Ferrand. (2019). Modeling the effect of microstructure on elastic wave propagation in platelet-reinforced composites and ceramics. Composite Structures, 224, 111105.
- T. Magrini, F. Bouville, A. Lauria, H. Le Ferrand, T. Niebel, A.R. Studart. (2019). Transparent and tough bulk composites inspired by nacre. Nature Communications, 10, 2794.
- H. Le Ferrand, M. Duchamp, D. Gabryelczyk, C. Hao, A. Miserez. (2019). Time-resolved observations of liquid-liquid phase separation at the nanoscale using in situ Liquid Transmission Electron Microscopy. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 17, 7202.
- H. Le Ferrand, A.R. Studart, A.F. Arrieta. (2019). Filtered mechanosensing using snapping composites with embedded mechano-electrical transduction. ACS Nano, 4, 4752.
« Back to Category Write-up