|His current research focuses on understanding surface/interface properties of microscale and nanoscale colloidal particles to achieve tailored optical, electronic, magnetic, catalytic, and structural properties, and exploring their biomedical and environmental applications. He is particularly interested in new chemistry towards nanostructures with structurally integrated inorganic nanocrystals and polymers and new approaches towards well-defined multifunctional assemblies of nanoscale building blocks. The key research topics in his lab include: Plasmonics and Surface-Enhanced Optical Properties; Interfacial Assembly of Colloidal Particles; In Vitro Diagnostics; Detection and Treatment of Antimicrobial Resistance; Controlled Delivery of Biologics.|
- Qirong Xiong, Yun Lim, Di Li, Kanyi Pu, Li Liang, Hongwei Duan. (2020). Photoactive nanocarriers for controlled delivery. Advanced Functional Materials, 30, 1903896.
- Shuai Hou, Yonghao Chen, Derong Lu, Qirong Xiong, Yun Lim, and Hongwei Duan. (2020). A Self-Assembled Plasmonic Substrate for Enhanced Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer. Advanced Materials, 32, 1906475.
- Lu, D. R.; Zhou, J. J.; Hou, S.; Xiong, Q. R.; Chen, Y. H.; Pu, K. Y.; Ren, J. H.; Duan, H. W. (2019). Functional Macromolecules-Enabled Colloidal Synthesis: from Nanoparticle Engineering to Multifunctionality. Advanced Materials, 31, 1902733.
- Zhou, J. J.; Jiang, Y. Y.; Hou, S.; Upputuri, P. K.; Wu, D.; Li, J. C.; Wang, P.; Zhen, X.; Pramanik, M. Pu, K. Y.; Duan, H. W. (2018). Compact Plasmonic Blackbody for Cancer Theranosis in the Near-Infrared II Window. ACS Nano, 12, 2643-2651.
- Bai, L.; Mai, V. C.; Lim, Y.; Hou, S.; Möhwald, H.; Duan, H. W. (2018). Large-Scale Noniridescent Structural Color Printing Enabled by Infiltration-Driven Nonequilibrium Colloidal Assembly. Advanced Materials, 30, 1705667.