|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Gan Woon Seng
Professor, School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Director, Smart Nation Lab, Centre for Information Sciences and Systems
|Woon-Seng Gan received his BEng (1st Class Hons) and PhD degrees, both in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Strathclyde, UK in 1989 and 1993 respectively. He is currently an Associate Professor in the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering in Nanyang Technological University. He served as the deputy director, Centre for Signal Processing from 2007-2011, and Head of the Information Engineering Division in the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering from 2011-2014. His research has been concerned with the connections between the physical world, signal processing and sound control, which resulted in the practical demonstration and licensing of spatial audio algorithms, directional sound beam, and active noise control for headphones.|
He has published more than 260 international refereed journals and conferences, and has granted seven Singapore/US/Japan patents. He had co-authored three books on Digital Signal Processors: Architectures, Implementations, and Applications (Prentice Hall, 2005), Embedded Signal Processing with the Micro Signal Architecture, (Wiley-IEEE, 2007), and Subband Adaptive Filtering: Theory and Implementation (John Wiley, 2009). His research has also garnered several local and international awards, which include the runner-up in the 1997/98 Worldwide Texas Instruments DSP Solution Challenge; the 2001 Institute of Engineering Singapore Prestigious Engineering Award; Best of Show (Blue Ribbon Award)” in the 2011 TechVenture’s Innovation Awards; and other societies awards.
He is currently a Fellow of the Audio Engineering Society(AES), a Fellow of the Institute of Engineering and Technology(IET), a Senior Member of the IEEE, and a Professional Engineer of Singapore. He served as an Associate Editor of the IEEE/ACM Transaction on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing (TASLP; 2012-15) and was presented with an outstanding TASLP editorial board service award in 2016. He is currently serving as Associate Technical Editor of the Journal of Audio Engineering Society (JAES; 2013-); Associate Editor of the IEEE Signal Processing Letters (2015-); Editorial member of the Asia Pacific Signal and Information Processing Association (APSIPA; 2011-) Transactions on Signal and Information Processing; Associate Editor of the EURASIP Journal on Audio, Speech and Music Processing (2007-); Associate Editor for the IEICE transaction (2014-) on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences(Japan).
He is currently sitting in the Board of Governor (2014-17) of the Asia Pacific Signal and Information Processing Association (APSIPA) and distinguished lecturer (2014-15) of the same association. He also served as member in the IEEE Signal Processing Education Technical Committee from 2009-2015; IEEE Signal Processing Design and Implementation of Signal Processing System from 2012-2015; and currently active in the IEEE Signal Processing Industry DSP committee and IEEE IoT special interest group.
|His research interests include directional sound beam (AUDIO BEAM SYSTEM), active noise control, adaptive signal processing, psycho-acoustical signal processing, and spatial/3D audio processing.|
- Abating Traffic Noise Through a Holistic Approach of Noise Monitoring, Analytics and Comtrol (MAC)
- Active Noise Mitigation of Aircraft Noise Through Partially Opened Window
- Augmenting Urban Soundscapes (AUS): Design Tools, Noise Mitigation System, adn Evaluation of the Urban Sound Environment- Phase 1
- Experimentation Of A Novel Sound System To Enhance ListeningFor Hearing Impaired And Elderly
- Immersive 3D Audio for Virtual and Augmented Reality Applications
- Multipoint Lecture Exchange with High Connectivity, Participation, and Engagement
- SCALE@NTU Research Theme 2 (IAF) : Edge Intelligence
- SCALE@NTU Research Theme 2 (Singtel) : Edge Intelligence
- Scalable and Secured Edge Processing with Machine Learning and OTA Updating
- Singtel-NTU Cognitive & Artifical Intelligence Joint Lab
- Smart Platform Infrastructure Research On Integrative Technology (SPIRIT) : A Platform For Translational R&D For A Smart Nation
- Smart Platform Infrastructure Research on Integrative Technology (SPIRIT): A Platform for Translational R&D for a Smart Nation
- E.L. Tan, W.S.Gan. (2011). Perceptually Tuned Subband Coder for JPEG. Journal of Real-Time Image Processing, 6(2), 101-115.
- D. Q. Nguyen, W.S.Gan, Andy W.H. Khong. (2011). Time-Reversal Approach to the Stereophonic Acoustic Echo Cancellation Problem. IEEE Transactions on Audio Speech and Language Processing, 19(2), 385-395.
- C Shi, W.S.Gan. (2011). Grating Lobe Elimination In steerable Parametric Loudspeaker. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, .
- W.S.Gan, E. L. Tan, Sen M Kuo. (2011). Audio Projection: Directional sound and its application in immersive communication. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 28(1), 43-57.
- C Shi, W.S.Gan. (2010). Development of Parametric Loudspeaker: A Novel Directional Sound Generation Technology. IEEE Potentials, 29(6), 20-24.