|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Tan Soon Yim
Associate Professor, School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
|Prof Soon-Yim TAN is currently in the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering since 1992. He received his Bachelor degree with first class honors in Electrical Engineering from University of Malaya, Malaysia, in 1991, and the Ph.D. degree from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, in 1996. His research interests include electromagnetic theory and applications, propagation models and measurements for wireless communication systems, localization methodology for mobile communications and sensor networks, non-invasive cancer/tumor detection and heating. He has done significant research work and published over 40 top quality international journal papers. Currently, he is an editorial board member of Journal of electromagnetic waves and applications and member of the IDA radio standards technical committee. He has been often invited as a technical reviewer for a number of premier conferences and journals, including IEEE Trans. Mobile Computing, Antennas and Propagation, Wireless Communications, Vehicular Technology; JEWA; Radio Science etc. etc. He was appointed as consultant by more than 10 companies including SIAEC, CAAS, Bovis Lend Lease Pte Ltd, China Construction (South Pacific) Development Co Pte. Ltd etc to investigate the effects of radar reflections and scattering from many buildings and aircraft hangars near Singapore Changi Airport. Dr. TAN is a member of IEEE.
|Prof Soon Yim TAN's areas of expertise are electromagnetic scattering and diffraction theory, localization methodology and propagation models for wireless communication systems and sensor networks, and non-invasive cancer detection. His current research works focus on non line-of sight localization methodology for mobile communications and sensor networks, Microwave breast cancer detection and magnetic therapeutic.|
- C. K. Seow and S. Y. Tan. (2008). Localisation of mobile device in multipath environment using bi-directional estimation. Electronics Letters, 44(7), 485-487.
- C K Seow and S Y Tan. (2008). Non-Line of Sight Unidirectional Mobile Localization in Multipath Environment. Electronics Letters, 44(2), 141-143.
- M D Huang and S Y Tan. (2008). Achieving sub-wavelength resonant structures and transparency by a conducting spheroid with metamaterials coatings. Waves in Random and Complex Media, 18(1), 161-171.
- L Jiang and S Y Tan. (2007). Geometrical-based statistical channel model for outdoor and indoor propagation environments. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology , 56(6), 3587-3593.
- M. D. Huang and S. Y. Tan. (2006). An Improved Spherical Antenna Array for Wideband Phase Mode Processing. Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 66(1), 27-40.
« Back to Category Write-up