|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Chu Jian
Associate Chair (Faculty), School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
|Dr. Chu is a professor at the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He is also the Director of the Centre for Usable Space and the Interim Co-Director of the NTU-JTC Industrial Infrastructure Innovation Centre at NTU. He joined NTU in 1991 after receiving his PhD from The University of New South Wales, Australia. Prof Chu also worked for Iowa State University, USA, from 2011 to 2014 as professor and James M. Hoover Chair in Geotechnical Engineering. Prof Chu has more than 25 years’ research and consulting experiences in geotechnical engineering, in particular in the areas of laboratory and in-situ testing, engineering properties of soils, soil improvement and land reclamation.|
He is the Vice Chair for ISSMGE Technical Committee TC217 on Land Reclamation and a committee member for ISSMGE Technical Committee TC211 on Ground Improvement. He was the Chair for ISSMGE TC39 on Geotechnical Engineering for Disaster Mitigation and Rehabilitation from 2005 to 2009 and Vice-President of Geotechnical Society of Singapore from 2009 to 2011.
Dr. Chu has published over 300 technical papers in international journals and conferences and holds several patents. He has delivered over 60 keynote or invited lectures at international conferences including the State-of-the-Art Lecture on Construction Processes at the 17th International Conferences on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering in 2009. He is Editor for Acta Geotechnica, Associate Editor for ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, and editorial board member for other 7 international journals. He received the R. M. Quigley Award from the Canadian Geotechnical Society in 2004 for publishing the best paper in the Canadian Geotechnical Journal in 2003 and the Outstanding Geotechnical Engineer Award from the Geotechnical Society of Singapore in 2018. He has been a consultant for many projects and organisations in Singapore and overseas.
|Dr Chu's area of expertise includes labotrory and in-situ testing, soil properties, ground improvement, land reclamation, and waste utilisation.|
- Artificial Intelligence Based Geological Modelling and Geo-data Management System for Virtual Singapore
- Biogeochemistry of surface calcification for creation of artificial coral reefs
- Environment Impact of the Reclamation Using Vacuum Consolidation Technique
- Geo-Env-Mobility And Monitoring (GEM3) Station Research Account
- Geotechnical Properties of Biocement Treated Soils (Postgraduate student supervised: Li Bing)
- Innovative Construction Methods for Container Yard Construction with Flexibility for Future Development
- Innovative solutions for urban underground construction and space creation
- Web-Based 3D GeoData Modelling and Management System (GeM2S)
- Wu, C., Chu, J., Wu, S. and Guo, W. (2019). Quantifying the Permeability Reduction of Biogrouted Rock Fracture. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 52(3), 947–954.
- Chuangzhou Wu, Jian Chu, Shifan Wu and Yi Hong. (2019). 3D characterization of microbially induced carbonate precipitation in rock fracture and the resulted permeability reduction. Engineering Geology, 249, 23-30.
- Chuangzhou Wu, Jian Chu, Shifan Wu, Liang Cheng and Leon A. van Paassen. (2018). Microbially induced calcite precipitation along a circular flow channel under a constant flow condition. Acta Geotechnica, , https://doi.org/10.1007/s11440-018-0747-1.
- Kok Pang Lam, Shifan Wu and Jian Chu. (2018). Field trial of a membraneless vacuum preloading system for soft soil improvement. Ground Improvement, , https://doi.org/10.1680/jgrim.17.00081.
- Sun-Gyu Choi, Sung-Sik Park, Shifan Wu, Jian Chu. (2017). Methods for Calcium Carbonate Content Measurement of Biocemented Soils. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 29(11).
« Back to Category Write-up