|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Leong Weng Kee
Associate Professor, School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences
Phone: +65 65927577
Office: SPMS-CBC 06 07
ScD Cambridge University, UK (2015)
PhD Simon Fraser University, Canada (1995)
MSc National University of Singapore (1992)
Dip Ed National Institute of Education, Singapore (1985)
BA, MA Cambridge University, UK (1982, 1986)
Professor Leong joined the Division of Chemical and Biological Chemistry on 19 Jan 2009. He obtained his BA (Natural Sciences Tripos)from Cambridge University under an Overseas Merit Scholarship in 1982, and his Dip Ed (after completing his full-time NS) from NIE in 1985, before joining the teaching service. He completed his MSc in NUS in 1991, was with Glaxo Development briefly, before embarking for his PhD at Simon Fraser University. On returning to Singapore, he joined NUS as a Teaching Fellow and eventually was promoted to Associate Professor. He was awarded his ScD by Cambridge University in 2015. His main research area is the chemistry of organometallic clusters and related areas. He has over 180 research publications.
|Professor Leong's main research area is organometallic chemistry, particularly organometallic cluster chemistry, and includes: (a) Development of novel and especially mixed-metal cluster chemistry, (b) Bioorganometallic chemistry especially of clusters, (c) Mechanistic studies in catalysis and bond activation, and (d) Organometallic clusters in nanoscience and nanomaterials.|
- Anti-Markovnoikov Addition of Small Molecules
- Development of Organometallic Carbonyl Clusters as Exogenous Contrast Agents in Photoacoustic Imaging
- Highly Nucleophilic Neutral Complexes of Iridium and Rhodium
- The Chemistry of Strongly Electron-Donating Metallostibines
- The Reactivity of Organometallic Compounds with the Se-S and S-S Bonds
- The Synthesis of Transition-Metal Containing Gold Nanoclusters as Single-Source Precursors in Heterogeneous Catalysis
- Y.-Z. Li, R. Ganguly and W.K. Leong. (2018). Expedient Synthesis of a Metallostibine Os2(CO)8(m-SbPh): An Unusual and Strong Two-electron Donor Ligand. European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, 2017, 2541-6.
- Z. Lam, K.V. Kong, M. Olivo and W.K. Leong. (2016). The Vibrational Spectroscopy of Metal Carbonyls for Bio-Imaging and -Sensing. The Analyst, 141, 1569-86.
- Y. Li and W.K. Leong. (2016). Intramolecular Cycloaddition in the Iridium Diyne Complexes [Cp*Ir(CO)(η2-ArC≡CC≡CAr)]: An Experimental and Computational Study. European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, 2016, 4769-73.
- R. Ganguly and W.K. Leong. (2011). Mechanism and Activation Parameters for the κO to μ,κ2O,O’ Bonding Mode of the Maleic Acid Ligand on an Osmium Carbonyl Cluster. Organometallics, 30(15), 3966-70.
- K.V. Kong, W.K. Leong and L.H.K. Lim. (2009). Osmium carbonyl clusters containing labile ligands induce apoptosis via the hyper-stabilization of microtubules. chemical research in toxicology, 22, 1116-22.
« Back to Category Write-up