|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Liu Chuan Fa
Associate Professor, School of Biological Sciences
|ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE|
2003 – present
Associate Professor, School of Biological Sciences, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
2002 – 2003 Research Scientist IV, Amgen Research, Amgen Inc., USA
2000 – 2002 Research Scientist III, Amgen Research, Amgen Inc., USA
1999 – 2000 Research Scientist II, Amgen Research, Amgen Inc., USA
1996 – 1999 Research Scientist I, Amgen Research, Amgen Inc., USA
1992 – 1996 Research Instructor, Vanderbilt University Medical Centre, USA
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Vanderbilt University Medical Centre, USA
1990 – 1992 Postdoctoral Associate, The Rockefeller University, USA
1989 – 1990 Research Associate, CNRS, Centre CNRS-INSERM de Pharmacologie-Endocrinologie, Montpellier, France
Member, NTU Teaching Council (appointed by the Provost)
(1) Member, Committee on Developing TCM in Singapore -The Subcommittee on Research (2004-05)
(2) Acting director, BMS/TCM Double Degree Program in SBS (2006 – 2008)
(3) Chairman, School Safety Committee (appointed by the Chair of the School) (12/2012-12/2014)
(4) Supervisor, Chemical Biology/Peptide Synthesis Core facility, SBS
|Drug discovery: |
New strategies for peptide and protein drug development; peptide drug delivery; peptide and protein bioconjugates and antibody-drug conjugates as drug modalities; new peptide leads from phage display and natural sources.
Medicinal chemistry and structure-based drug design; peptidomimetics; combinatorial chemistry for drug lead discovery.
Development and use of peptide nucleic acid analogs as antisense and antigene agents.
Pharmacokinetic (PK) studies using LC-MS.
Peptide/protein chemistry and chemical biology:
Development of chemical/enzymatic peptide ligation methods and site-specific protein modification methods; use of protein chemical synthesis for the study of protein structure and functions; study of ubiquitin biology and structural biology using homogeneous chemically ubiquitinated proteins; study of chromatin structure and biology using semisynthetic histones carrying various PTMs.
- A pH-sensitive linker for intracellular drug delivery
- A radical reaction approach for site-specific protein acylation
- Biophysical Studies of Nucleosome Arrays with Site-Specifically Modified Histone Tails
- Development and Enzymatic Synthesis of HomogenousHyperbranched Peptide Dendrimers as Antimicrobials
- Development chemical and enzymatic protein synthesis methods for protein structure-function study - application to histone proteins
- Enabling Technologies for the Development and Prdouction of Peptide and Protein Research Reagents and Therapeutics
- Epigenetics and Spitranscriptomics reagents for a start-up company
- Food Safety: Detection of bacterial toxins and contaminants in complex food matrices
- HL9 Based D-Peptide Design as HIV Entry Inhibitor
- Herbalomics: Novel approach for fingerprinting and authentication of herbal products
- Peptide nucleic acid with sequence-selective ribonuclease activity
- Yuan Cao, Giang K. T. Nguyen, Samuel Chuah, James P. Tam, and Chuan-Fa Liu. (2016). Butelase-mediated Ligation as an efficient bioconjugation method for the synthesis of peptide dendrimers. Bioconjugate Chemistry, 27(11), 2592–2596.
- Giang KT NGUYEN, Yibo QIU, Yuan Cao, Xinya HEMU, Chuan-Fa Liu, James P. Tam. (2016). Butelase-mediated Cyclization and Ligation of Peptides and Proteins. Nature Protocols, 11, 1977-1988.
- Kalyan Kumar Pasunooti, Renliang Yang, Biplab Banerjee, Terence Yap, Chuan-Fa Liu. (2016). 5-Methylisoxazole-3-carboxamide-Directed Palladium-Catalyzed γ-C (sp3)–H Acetoxylation and Application to the Synthesis of γ-Mercapto Amino Acids for Native Chemical Ligation. Organic Letters, 18(11), 2696–2699.
- Bi XB, Pasunooti KK, Tareq AH, Takyi-Williams J and Liu CF. (2016). Genetic incorporation of 1,2-aminothiol functionality for site-specific protein modification via thiazolidine formation. Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 14(23), 5282-5285.
- Nikolay V. Berezhnoy, Ying Liu, Abdollah Allahverdi, Renliang Yang, Chun-Jen Su, Chuan-Fa Liu, Nikolay Korolev, Lars Nordenskiöld. (2016). The Influence of Ionic Environment and Histone Tails on Ordered Columnar Phases of Nucleosome Core Particles. Biophysical Journal, 110(8), 1720–1731.