|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Chen Zhong
Professor, School of Materials Science & Engineering
|Chen Zhong graduated with BEng in Metallurgy & Materials Science in 1984 in China. He started his academic career in 1987 (Assistant Lecturer & Lecturer) right after obtaining his MEng degree in Materials Science and Engineering. In 1992, he was awarded a one-year visiting scholarship by the Ministry of Education of China to work in the University of Reading, U.K. After completing the visit, he was financially supported by the Overseas Research Scholarship (ORS) awarded by the Committee of Vice Chancellors and Principals (CVCP) in the U.K. and an EU research grant to pursue his PhD under the supervision of Prof. Tony Atkins.|
In April 1997, Dr. Chen came to Singapore to join the newly founded Institute of Materials Research and Engineering (IMRE), a national research institute under the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR, formerly known as NSTB) of Singapore government. In March 2000, the passion for creating & imparting knowledge to students brought him back to the education arena to become a faculty member in the Materials Engineering division of the School of Applied Science at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU). The division has since grown to the current School of Materials Science and Engineering.
Chen Zhong is an editor or member of the editorial board of several international journals, and has served as reviewer for more than 70 international journals (e.g. Acta Materialia, Advanced Materials, Applied Physics Letters, Energy & Environmental Science, Nanoscale, Nature Communications). He has also served as an external reviewer for international funding agencies including the European Research Council.
|Thin Films & Low-dimensional Materials: Thin films & nano-materials for clean energy and environmental applications; Microelectronic thin films; Protective and functional surface coatings.
Mechanical Behavior of Materials: Fracture, fatigue, and creep of bulk monolithic & composite materials, thin films and multi-layers; Experimental and computational mechanics.
- Advanced metal bonding through self assembled monolayers
- Application-Driven Understanding And Engineering Of Materials Structures
- Development of polymer ceramic composites and thermal spray techniques for enhanced ballistic performance
- Development of water based bio-epoxy coatings for easycleaning, anti-corrosion and anti-icing application
- Electrodeposition of Gold and Nickel Films for Smart Card Application
- Electronic waste metal recycling for extraction and reuse in electronic applications
- Fast treatment of gaseous pollutants through synergistic photocatalytic-plasma actions
- Internet of Things (IAF-ICP)
- Internet of Things (NTU)
- Internet of Things (RR)
- Low-temperature Solution-processed Protonated Titanium Oxides for Photocatalytic Applications
- Mechanistic Probing Electrochemical Processes in Ultrafast Charging LIBs
- Metallic Nanoparticles Enabled Low Temperature Processes for Interconnections in Flexible Electronics and 3D Electronics Packaging
- Multi-functional Sol-gel Coatings for Wind-turbine Blade Protection
- Nanostructured Materials, Systems and Devices
- Photocatalytic Degradation of Model Pollutants in Aqueous Media
- Project SMART
- Quantifying the effect of lattice defects in semiconductor oxides towards more efficient photoelectrochemical fuel generation
- Reinforced Polyolefins
- Study of Process Responses, Intermetallics and Reliability of Palladium-Copper Wire Bonding
- Sub-Project 1 - Modelling of Braided Textile Composites
- Towards advanced light-weight materials: reinforcing thermoplastics with polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane (POSS)-modified nanoclay
- Ultrafast Charge Lithium-Ion Batteries Based On Additive-Free Anode Materials
- Tan JSJ, Wong SLY, Chen Z. (2020). Preparation of Janus Titanium Dioxide Particles via Ultraviolet Irradiation of Pickering Emulsions. Advanced Materials Interfaces , .
- Xin Zhao, Zheng Zhang, Xun Cao, Jun Hu, Xinghua Wu, Andrew Yun Ru Ng, Guo-Ping Lu, Zhong Chen. (2020). Elucidating the sources of activity and stability of FeP electrocatalyst for hydrogen evolution reactions in acidic and alkaline media. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 260, 1181562.
- Y. Z. Shen, X. H. Wu, J. Tao, C. L. Zhu, Y. K. Lai, Z. Chen. (2019). Icephobic materials: fundamentals, performance evaluation, and applications. Progress in Materials Science, .
- X. Yao, X. Zhao, X. L. Li, D. P. Wang, A. I. Y. Tok, Z. Chen, T. Sritharan. (2019). A Source of Error in Photoanode Evaluation. Joule, .
- C. Wang, Z. Chen, V. V. Silberschmidt, A. Roy. (2018). Damage Accumulation in Braided Textiles Reinforced Composites under Repeated Impacts: Experimental and Numerical Studies. Composite Structures, .