|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Ang Soon
Distinguished University Professor, College of Business (Nanyang Business School)
Professor, Nanyang Technological University
|Soon Ang (Ph.D. University of Minnesota)|
Distinguished University Chair & Professor in Management
Head, Leadership, Management & Organisation
Executive Director, Center for Leadership & Cultural Intelligence
Nanyang Business School
Soon Ang is the Distinguished University Chaired Professor and Head of the Division of Leadership, Management and Organisation at the Nanyang Business School, Nanyang Technological University. She is also Executive Director for the Center for Leadership & Cultural Intelligence (CLCI). She received her PhD in management from the University of Minnesota. A recognized world authority in global leadership, outsourcing and cultural intelligence, she has co-authored two pioneering books on cultural intelligence and co-edited the Handbook of Cultural Intelligence. Her ideas on cultural intelligence have been described as the most cogent, well-researched and comprehensive. She has recently created and validated a series of multi-media situational judgment tests for assessing and developing cultural intelligence for individuals and organizations. She currently teaches doctoral level courses in cultural intelligence and organizational behavior.
Soon Ang’s research interests are in cultural intelligence, international organizational behavior, outsourcing and talent management. She has won numerous prestigious Best Paper awards at the Academy of Management Meetings, the Hawaiian International Conference on Systems Sciences (HICSS), and the Association of Computing Machinery conferences. Soon Ang has published in Academy of Management Journal, Social Forces, Communications of the ACM, Information Systems Research, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of Management, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Management Science, Organization Science, MIS Quarterly, and others. She is Senior Editor of MIS Quarterly, Associate Editor of Cross-Cultural Management: An International Journal, Decision Sciences, and is on editorial boards of Organization Science, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Management and Organization Research (MOR), and others.
Soon Ang consults extensively on talent management, outsourcing, and cross-cultural management. She has served as consultant researcher for major corporations and MNCs including British Petroleum, Defense Science and Technology Agency, Housing and Development Board, Information & Development Authority, International Labor Organization, Judicial Courts of California, Ministry of Defense, Ministry of Manpower, National Computer Systems, Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation, Singapore Airlines, and others.
Soon Ang received the Public Administration Medal (Silver) for contributions to education and research from the President of the Republic of Singapore in 2010. She was the first social scientist to receive the 2007 Nanyang Research and Innovation Award, the highest research award accorded by the Nanyang Technological University. In 2006, she was awarded the prestigious Distinguished Leadership Award for International Alumni for the University of Minnesota for her exemplary contribution to academic leadership, research, and scholarship.
International Organizational Behavior
Human Resource Consulting
- Distinguished University Professorship
- Clark, C., Tan, M. L., Murfett, U. M., Rogers, P., & Ang, S. (2019). The call center agent’s performance paradox: A mixed-methods study of discourse strategies and paradox resolution. Academy of Management Discoveries, in press.
- Bamberger, P., & Ang, S. (2016). The quantitative discovery: What is it and how to get it published. Academy of Management Discoveries, 2(1), 1-6.
- Damien Joseph, Soon Ang and Sandra Slaughter. (2015). Turnover or Turnaway? Competing Risks Analysis of Male and Female IT Professionals' Job Mobility and Relative Pay Gap. Information Systems Research, 26(1), 145-164.
- Rockstuhl, T., Ang, S., Ng, K. Y., Lievens, F., & Van Dyne, L. (2015). Putting judging situations into situational judgment tests: Evidence from intercultural multimedia SJTs. Journal of Applied Psychology, 100, 464-480.
- Leung, K., Ang, S., & Tan, M. L. (2014). Intercultural Competence. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, 1, 489-519.