|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Ho Kim Wai
Associate Professor, College of Business (Nanyang Business School) - Division of Banking & Finance
|Dr. Ho Kim Wai graduated in 1978 with a First Class Honours degree in Mechanical Engineering from Imperial College London. He then qualified as a Chartered Accountant in England and Wales, and later obtained both his Masters and PhD degrees in finance. He is a Fellow of both the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales and the Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants. |
Prior to joining Nanyang Technological University, Dr. Ho had extensive experience in Big Eight (now Big Four) international accounting firms in London and Singapore and was the Group Financial Controller and Company Secretary of a publicly listed multinational corporation in the manufacturing industry for several years.
Dr. Ho is currently Associate Professor of Banking and Finance at the Nanyang Business School. He had served as the Associate Dean (Research), the founding Director of the MSc (Financial Engineering) Programme and the Director of the MBA (Banking and Finance) programme.
Dr. Ho’s teaching and research interests are in corporate finance, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, business valuation and financial statement analysis and modelling. He conducts these courses at the EMBA, MBA and MSc levels, and for senior executives in the Nanyang Executive Programme and other in-house executive seminars. Dr. Ho has won several teaching awards over the years including the MBA Teacher of the Year (2016), Nanyang Fellows MBA Teacher of the Year (2016 and 2019), EMBA Teacher of the Year (2010 and 2017), MSc (Finance) Teacher of the Year (2017) and MSc (Asset and Wealth Management) Teacher of the Year (2020). In 2018, Dr. Ho was awarded the prestigious Nanyang Education Award (School). In 2019, he received the Distinguished Teaching Award from the Wealth Management Institute, an Institute of NTU Singapore.
Some of the organisations that Dr. Ho has provided consulting and training include China Construction Bank, China Merchant Bank, China Minsheng Bank, DBS Bank, Economic Development Board, GIC, Huaxia Bank, ICBC, Infocomm Development Authority, JTC Corporation, Keppel Corporation, Monetary Authority of Singapore, National Health Group, OCBC Bank, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Shanghai Pudong Development Bank, Singapore Press Holdings, SMRT Corporation and Standard Chartered Bank.
Dr. Ho was conferred the Public Service Medal Award (PBM) in 2005 and awarded the Long Service Medal (National Day Honours) in 2015.
|corporate finance, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, financial modelling and business valuation|
- Research in Corporate Governance, Accounting Quality and Corporate Financial Policies
- Chen Sheng-Syan, Ho Kim Wai, Huang Chia-Wei, and Wanf Yanzhi,. (2013). Buyback behavior of initial public offering firms. Journal of Banking and Finance, 37(1), 32–42.
- Chong Beng Soon, Ho Kim Wai. (2007). Lockup and Voluntary Earnings Forecast Disclosure in IPOs. Financial Management, 36(3), 63-80.
- Chen Sheng-Syan, Chung Tsai-Yen, Ho Kim Wai, and Lee Cheng-few. (2007). Intra-industry effects of delayed new product introductions. Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies, 10(3), 415-443.
- Ho Kim Wai, Chen Sheng-Syan, Ik Kueh Hwa. (2005). The wealth effect of new product introductions on industry rivals. The Journal of Business (Chicago), 78, 969-996.
- Ho Kim Wai, Chen Sheng-Syan, Lee Cheng-few, Keshab Man Shrestha. (2004). Nonlinear models in corporate finance research: Review, critique, and extensions. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 22, 141-169.