|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Teo You Yenn
Associate Professor, School of Social Sciences
|TEO You Yenn received her PhD in Sociology from the University of California at Berkeley.|
She is Associate Professor, Provost’s Chair in Sociology, and Head of Sociology, at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Her research focuses on poverty and inequality, governance and state-society dynamics, gender, and class. Her work has been published in journals such as Economy and Society, Signs, Social Politics, and Development and Change. She is the author of Neoliberal Morality in Singapore: How family policies make state and society (Routledge, 2011) and This is What Inequality Looks Like (Ethos Books, 2018).
Apart from academic writings, she has over the last decade contributed regularly to public debate through public lectures and media commentaries. Her writings have been published in The Straits Times, Today, Channel NewsAsia, Lianhe Zaobao, and New Naratif.
She is recipient of NTU’s Nanyang Education Award (2013), and the American Sociological Association Sex and Gender Section’s Feminist Scholar Activist Award (2016). For her contributions to igniting a national conversation on poverty and inequality with the book This is What Inequality Looks Like, which sold 25,000 copies in 16 months, she was named a Finalist in the 2018 Straits Times Singaporean of the Year Award.
More information about her work at: https://teoyouyenn.sg
|Public policy and governance; state and the familial; welfare and citizenship; state-society relations and culture; gender and class inequalities; poverty; Singapore.|
- Everyday lives of the low-income in Singapore
- Provost’s Chair in Sociology (Teo You Yenn)
- The Politics of Family and Welfare in Asia
- Work-life Balance in Contemporary Singapore: Cross-class Comparisons
- Ng, Kok Hoe; Teo You Yenn; Neo Yu Wei; Ad Maulod; Ting Yi Ting. (2019). What older people need in Singapore: A household budgets study.
- Teo, You Yenn. (2019). Academic Freedom in Singapore and the ‘Fake News’ Law.New Naratif, April 11.
- Teo, You Yenn. (2019). Let's talk about a living wage: Singapore should consider a society-wide approach to raising low wages.The Straits Times, March 7.
- Teo, You Yenn. (2019). Merdeka Generation Package: Time to move beyond one-time 'packages.'.The Straits Times, February 22.
- Teo, You Yenn.(2019). Seeing a story to get to a case. They Told Us to Move(34-43). Singapore: Ethos Books.
« Back to Research Directory