|My research interests lie in volcanic hazard, vulnerability and risk assessment for the purpose of disaster risk reduction. I achieve this through the use of numerical models, field studies and the statistical interrogation of large datasets.|
Recent research has focussed on investigating techniques and frameworks for probabilistic hazard and risk assessment. This includes the development of large-scale multi-source ash dispersal models that calculate the total ash hazard at a site, rather than from a volcano (used for the 2015 UN-ISDR Global Assessment Report), and the quantification of likely hazards and physical impacts arising from volcanic eruptions, through pre- and post-eruption field studies and numerical modelling.
Research areas include Indonesia, Philippines, Italy, Iceland, Cape Verde and the Lesser Antilles.
- Jenkins, S.F., Komorowski, J.-C., Baxter, P.J., Charbonnier, S.C., Cholik, N., Surono.(2016). The devastating impact of the 2010 eruption of Merapi volcano,, Indonesia. In J. Duarte and W.P. Schellart(Ed), Plate Boundaries and Natural Hazards. Geodynamic SeriesISBN: 9781119053972: American Geophysical Union and Wiley/Blackwell.
- Loughlin, S.C., Brown, S.K., Jenkins, S.F., Sparks, R.S.J. and Vye-Brown, C. (Editors). (2015). Global volcanic hazard and risk. Cambridge University Press [Open Access: www.cambridge.org/volcano].
- Jenkins, S.F., Barsotti, S., Hincks, T.K., Neri, A., Phillips, J.C., Sparks, R.S.J., Sheldrake, T. and Vougioukalakis, G. (2015). Rapid emergency assessment of ash and gas hazard for future eruptions at Santorini Volcano, Greece [Open Access]. Journal of Applied Volcanology, 4(1), 16.
- Jenkins, S.F., Phillips, J.C., Price, R., Feloy, K., Sri Hadmoko, D. and de Bélizal, E. (2015). Developing building damage scales for lahars: Application to Merapi volcano, Indonesia. Bulletin of Volcanology, 77(9), 1-17.
- Jenkins, S.F., Spence, R.J.S., Fonseca, J., Solidum, R.U. and Wilson, T.M. (2014). Volcanic risk assessment: Quantifying physical vulnerability in the built environment. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 276, 105-120.