|I am an Associate Professor at Nanyang Business School, Nanyang Technological University with honorary/guest professorships at Jilin University and Nankai University. I co-founded Startup@Singapore and was a lead organizer of MIT’s 50K, now $100K, business plan competition. With a keen interest in promoting fair and sustainable business practices, I’m on Consumer Association of Singapore CaseTrust Advisory Council, judge the NUS-DBS Social Venture Challenge Asia, faculty associate of the Asia Centre for Social Entrepreneurship and Philanthropy, and on the advisory board of the Annual Sustainability, Ethics, and Entrepreneurship Conference.|
I serve as Field Editor of the Journal of Business Venturing (from 2012-2017 as editor of Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice where I continue to be on the editorial review board) and on the editorial review boards of the Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Perspectives, and Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal. Courses taught are in areas of leadership, management, and entrepreneurship.
Academic qualifications include the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA, Honours, 2nd Upper) from the National University of Singapore and Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
|My research uses management concepts to understand entrepreneurial processes in high growth startups and in academic entrepreneurship. Past projects have delved into cognition, teams, and emotions and how these processes impact individual well-being, team functioning, and venture success. More recently I study leadership issues, especially how women can emerge as leaders. This research has appeared in premier journals, including the Academy of Management Journal, Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Business Venturing, Management Science, and Strategic Management Journal.|
- Foo Maw Der, Angeline Lim, Lim Wee Kiat, Leong Yi Tung.(2019). The Experience of Wendy Chan: Challenges Faced by Woman Leaders in STEM-Related Sectors. .
- Li, A., Foo, M. D., & Sun, S. H. (2019, February). Destructive interpersonal relationships? The importance of social undermining and sleep quality in entrepreneurs’ work engagement. Paper presented at ACERE (Australian Center for Entrepreneurship Research Exchange) Conference, Sydney, Australia, February 6-8.
- Lim, A.C., Trau, R., & Foo, M.D. (2019). Task interdependence and the discrimination of gay men and lesbians in the workplace. Human Resource Management Journal, 57(6), 1385-1397.
- Chen, D., Ou, A., Foo, M.D., Lim, A., & Guo, Y. (2018). Women in enterprises: Unlocking the careers of women@workHuman Capital Leadership Institute.
- Hsu, D.K., Burmeister-Lamp, K., Simmons S.A., Foo, M.D., Hong, M.C., & Pipes, J.D. (2018). “I know I can but I don’t fit”: Perceived fit, self-efficacy, and entrepreneurial intention. Journal of Business Venturing, in press.