|Academic Profile |
| || |
Dr Hyejeong Ahn
Senior Lecturer, School of Humanities
|Dr. Hyejeong Ahn joined NTU’s Language and Communication Centre as a lecturer in 2015. She completed her PhD in Applied Linguistics from Monash University in Australia, after studying for her M.A. in TESOL education and B.A. in Primary School education at the University of South Australia. She is a highly qualified professional with many years of experience in teaching and training. Her teaching experience spans from teaching English writing skills for academic purposes, English as an International Language, and intercultural communication skills in professional and academic contexts.|
Her research area specialises in the field of the educational linguistics with a clear focus on teaching English as an International Language (EIL) and World Englishes. The basis of her publications rests on an evaluation of teachers’ awareness of and attitudes towards the inherently evolving pluricentric nature of English. She has argued for developing teacher training courses which inform the current socio and linguistic landscape of English and a reassessment of the notion of what types of English competency are valid in the era of globalization where English is a means of intercultural communication.
|My research, using a mixed-methods approach, specialises in the area of the educational and socio linguistics with a clear focus on teaching English as an International language (EIL) and World Englishes The basis of the argument in my publications rests on the evaluation of teachers’ awareness of and attitudes towards the inherently evolving pluricentric nature of English. I have argued for developing teacher training courses which inform the current socio and linguistic landscape of English and a reassessment of the notion of what types of English competency are valid in the era of globalization where English is a means of intercultural communication. My secondary area of research focuses on examination of English policy and major proficiency tests from World Englishes perspectives. I am also currently undertaking research on the sociolinguistic profile of South Korea. The focus of this project is the descriptive analysis of a variety of data, which seeks to identify sociolinguist profiles of English use amongst university students in South Korea.|
- The Use of English as a Medium of Instruction in South Korean Universities
- Zixi You, Jieun Kiaer, Hyejeong Ahn. (2019). Growing East Asian words in English: British university students' attitudes to words of East Asian origin in the English language. English Today, , 1-18.
- Hyejeong Ahn. (2019, February). Singapore English and English language teaching from World English perspectives. Paper presented at The Korean Society of Bilingualism, Nanyang Technological University.
- Hyejeong Ahn. (2019, February). Globalisation, language use, and the teaching of English. Paper presented at Korea Association of Secondary English Education, Ewha Womans University, Seoul South Korea.
- Hyejeong Ahn. (2018, December). English as a medium of instruction in higher education in South Korea. Paper presented at English as a medium of instruction in higher education, SEAMEO RETRAC, Vietnam.
- Hyejeong Ahn. (2018, July). A snowball survey of English in Korean universities. Paper presented at 20th International Congress of Linguists (ICL), Cape Town, South Africa.
« Back to Category Write-up