|Lalit Goel was born in New Delhi, India, in 1960. He obtained his BTech Degree in electrical engineering from the Regional Engineering College, Warangal, India in 1983, and his MSc and PhD degrees in electrical engineering from the University of Saskatchewan, Canada, in 1988 and 1991 respectively. He joined the School of EEE at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore, in 1991 where he is presently a professor of power engineering. He served as the Head of the Division of Power Engineering from July 2005 to August 2008. From July 2008 to June 2012, he served as the Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid (re-designated Director of Admissions & Financial Aid with effect from 1 July 2011). Dr Goel was appointed Director, Undergraduate Education (Projects), in the President's Office from Jan 2013 to Dec 2015, and Director of the Office of Global Education and Mobility from October 2014 until March 2018. Since April 2018, Dr Goel has been serving as the Director of the Renaissance Engineering Programme (REP). He received the 1997 & 2002 Teacher of the Year Awards for the School of EEE, “Best Teacher of Year 2” awards for 1999/2000, 2000/2001, 2001/2002, 2005/06 and 2009/2010, and the “Best Teacher of Year 3” awards for 2001/2002 and 2002/03. Dr Goel served as the Publications Chair of the 1995 IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES) Energy Management & Power Delivery (EMPD) conference, Organizing Chairman of the 1998 IEEE PES EMPD Conference, Vice-Chairman of the IEEE PES Winter Meeting 2000, Honorary Secretary of the International Power Engineering Conferences (IPEC) in 1997, 1999, 2001 & 2003, Chair of the IEEE PES Powercon2004, Chair of IPEC2005 & IPEC2007, Chair of Tencon2009, Chair of PMAPS2010, Co-Chair of ACEPT2016, 2017 and 2018, Honorary Chair of IEEE Tencon 2016, and Advisor of IEEE PES ISGT Asia 2018. Dr Goel received the IEEE PES Singapore Chapter Outstanding Engineer Award in 2000, and the IEEE PES Outstanding Power Engineering Educator Award in 2009. Dr Goel served as the Editor for the International Journal of Electric Power Systems Research (EPSR) from 2002 to 2019, and he is an editorial board member of the International Journal for Emerging Electric Power Systems. He served as deputy director of NTU's Protective Technology Research Center (PTRC) from May 1999 to April 2007. Dr Goel served as the IEEE Singapore Section Chair from January 2007 to December 2008, and as the Asia-Pacific Representative on the IEEE PES Governing Board from 2011 to 2016. Dr Goel is a Fellow of the IEEE. He has published more than 185 international journal and conference papers in the areas of power system reliability, cost/benefit assessment, power markets and renewables.|
- Q. Zhao, P. Wang, L. Goel and Y. Ding. (2013). Impacts of Contingency Reserve on Nodal Price and Nodal Reliability Risk in Deregulated Power Systems. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, .
- A. Mehrtash, P. Wang, L. Goel. (2013). Reliability Evaluation of Restructured Power Systems Using a Novel OPF-Based Approach. IET Proceedings Generation, Transmission & Distribution, .
- P. Wang, L. Goel, X. Liu and F. Choo. (2013). Harmonizing AC and DC: A Hybrid AC/DC Future Grid Solution. IEEE Power and Energy Magazine, 11(3), 76-83.
- P.A. Viswanath, L. Goel, P. Wang. (2012). Proc. 10th International Power and Energy Conference (IPEC’12): Mixed Integer Programming Formulation Techniques and Applications to Unit Commitment Problem.Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Q. Zhao, P. Wang, L. Goel & Y. Ding. (2012). PMAPS2012: Reserve optimization to improve operational reliability in deregulated power system with PV power penetration.Istanbul, Turkey.