|Prof Guan is currently a Professor in the School of Computer Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. He is the Director of the Artificial Intelligence Research Institute (AI.R) of NTU. He is on the Steering Committee of Ageing Research Institute for Society and Education (ARISE), NTU. He is a member of the Management Committee of the Singapore Health Technologies Consortium (HealthTEC), Singapore. He serves on the Advisory Board of Elite Master Program in Neuroengineering, TUM, Germany. He serves as the Chief Scientific Advisor of Neeuro Pte Ltd, Singapore. He is also a scientific advisor to several other companies. He served as the Co-Director of the Rehabilitation Research Institute of Singapore (RRIS), 2015-2018. He was the Co-Director of the NTU-NNI Neurotechnology Fellowship Program, 2017-2019. Prior to joining NTU in 2016, he was the founding Department Head of the Neural & Biomedical Technology Department and a Principal Scientist (RSE6) at the Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R), Agency for Science, Technology, and Research (A*SATR), Singapore. He is a Fellow of IEEE (for contributions to brain-computer interfaces and applications).|
His research interests are in the fields of Brain-Computer Interfaces (BCI), Machine Learning, Neural Signal & Image Processing, Data Analytics, and Artificial Intelligence. He published 6 book chapters, 340 refereed journal and conference papers, and holds 25 granted patents and patent applications. He licensed numerous patents to USA and Singapore-based companies. As a leading scientist in BCI field, he delivered more than 60 keynote speeches and invited talks (including the keynote, Brain-Computer Interfaces for Stroke Rehabilitation, at the opening ceremony of the 7th International BCI Meeting, Asilomar, USA, May 2018). He is a recipient of the Annual BCI Research Award, the IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Award, Achiever of the Year (Research) Award, Finalist of President Technology Award, and winner of BCI Competitions.
He serves as an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Pattern Recognition, Neurocomputing, Brain-Computer Interfaces, Frontiers in Neuroscience, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, A*STAR Research Publication (2013-2016), and Guest-Editor for IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine (2016). He is on the Advisory Board of IEEE Open Access Journal of Engineering in Medicine and Biology (OJEMB). He was on the IEEE Fellow Evaluation Committee for EMBS Society, 2018 & 2020. He was an APSIPA Distinguished Lecturer, 2017-2018. He served as the General Co-Chair for IEEE ICAA’2018, Conference Chair for Internet of Things (IoT) Asia 2015, and General Chair for the IEEE HealthCom 2008. He served as the Chairman of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Chapter, Singapore Section, 2010-2012. He was the President of Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence Association (PREMIA), Singapore, 2008-2010.
He played a leadership role in establishing medical technology research and development in A*STAR. He was the A*STAR MedTech Program Leader of Neuro-Technology to lead and coordinate the neuro-technology effort at A*STAR. He initiated and co-established the Rehabilitation Research Institute of Singapore (RRIS) – an initiative between A*STAR, NTU, and National Health Group. He established medical research at the Institute of Infocomm Research including founding and directing the I2R Brain-Computer Interface Lab, the Neural & Biomedical Technology Department, and two sizeable medical-technology research programs (with a strength of 60-80). Under his leadership, his group licensed technologies to 10 companies, led to 3 start-up companies and 2 spin-off companies. Their licensees raised over $65M fund collectively.
- Fatemeh Fahimi, Strahinja Dosen, Kai Keng Ang, Natalie Mrachacz-Kersting, and Cuntai Guan. (2020). Generative Adversarial Networks-based Data Augmentation for Brain-Computer Interface. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, Aug 2020, pp1-12.
- Ravikiran Mane, Tushar Chouhan, and Cuntai Guan. (2020). BCI for Stroke Rehabilitation: Motor and Beyond. Journal of Neural Engineering, July 2020, 1-28.
- Ji-Hoon Jeong, No-Sang Kwak, Cuntai Guan, and Seong-Whan Lee. (2020). Decoding Movement-Related Cortical Potentials based on Subject-Dependent and Section-Wise Spectral Filtering. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, Mar 2020, 28(3), 687-698.
- Su Zhang, Wanjing Zhao, Xuying Hao, Yang Yang, and Cuntai Guan. (2019). A Context-aware Locality Measure for Inlier Pool Enrichment in Stepwise Image Registration. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Dec 2019, 1-15.
- Oyeon Kwon, MinHo Lee, Cuntai Guan, Seong-Whan Lee. (2019). Subject-Independent Brain-Computer Interfaces Based on Deep Convolutional Neural Networks. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, Nov 2019, 1-13.