|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Chu Jian
Chair, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professor, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Director, Centre for Urban Solutions (CUS), School of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE)
|Dr. Chu is a professor at the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He is also the Director of the Centre for Usable Space and the Interim Co-Director of the NTU-JTC Industrial Infrastructure Innovation Centre at NTU. He joined NTU in 1991 after receiving his PhD from The University of New South Wales, Australia. Prof Chu also worked for Iowa State University, USA, from 2011 to 2014 as professor and James M. Hoover Chair in Geotechnical Engineering. Prof Chu has more than 25 years’ research and consulting experiences in geotechnical engineering, in particular in the areas of laboratory and in-situ testing, engineering properties of soils, soil improvement and land reclamation.|
He is the Vice Chair for ISSMGE Technical Committee TC217 on Land Reclamation and a committee member for ISSMGE Technical Committee TC211 on Ground Improvement. He was the Chair for ISSMGE TC39 on Geotechnical Engineering for Disaster Mitigation and Rehabilitation from 2005 to 2009 and Vice-President of Geotechnical Society of Singapore from 2009 to 2011.
Dr. Chu has published over 300 technical papers in international journals and conferences and holds several patents. He has delivered over 60 keynote or invited lectures at international conferences including the State-of-the-Art Lecture on Construction Processes at the 17th International Conferences on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering in 2009. He is Editor for Acta Geotechnica, Associate Editor for ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, and editorial board member for other 7 international journals. He received the R. M. Quigley Award from the Canadian Geotechnical Society in 2004 for publishing the best paper in the Canadian Geotechnical Journal in 2003 and the Outstanding Geotechnical Engineer Award from the Geotechnical Society of Singapore in 2018. He has been a consultant for many projects and organisations in Singapore and overseas.
|Dr Chu's area of expertise includes labotrory and in-situ testing, soil properties, ground improvement, land reclamation, and waste utilisation.|
- Artificial Intelligence Based Geological Modelling and Geo-data Management System for Virtual Singapore
- Biogeochemistry of surface calcification for creation of artificial coral reefs
- Environment Impact of the Reclamation Using Vacuum Consolidation Technique
- Geo-Env-Mobility And Monitoring (GEM3) Station Research Account
- Geotechnical Properties of Biocement Treated Soils (Postgraduate student supervised: Li Bing)
- Innovative Construction Methods for Container Yard Construction with Flexibility for Future Development
- Innovative solutions for urban underground construction and space creation
- Long-Term Environmental Behaviour for Treated Incineration Bottom Ash
- Web-Based 3D GeoData Modelling and Management System (GeM2S)
- Pan, X., Guo, W., Wu, S. and Chu, J. (2020). An experimental approach for determination of the Weibull homogeneity index of rock or rock-like materials. Acta Geotechnica, 15, 375-391.
- Wang, K., Chu, J., Wu, S. and He, J. (2020). Stress–strain behaviour of bio-desaturated sand under undrained monotonic and cyclic loading. Geotechnique , Ahead of Print.
- Shifan Wu, Bing Li and Jian Chu. (2019). Large-scale model tests of biogrouting for sand and rock. Ground Improvement, Ahead of Print.
- Chuangzhou Wu, Jian Chu, Liang Cheng and Shifan Wu. (2019). Biogrouting of Aggregates Using Premixed Injection Method with or without pH Adjustment. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 31(9), p.06019008.
- Wu, C., Chu, J., Wu, S. and Guo, W. (2019). Quantifying the Permeability Reduction of Biogrouted Rock Fracture. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 52(3), 947–954.