|Academic Profile |
| || |
Dr Ella Raidel
Assistant Professor, School of Art, Design and Media
|Ella Raidel, Ph.D., is a filmmaker, artist and researcher. In her interdisciplinary works – films, videos, research and discourses – she focuses on the socio-cultural aspects of globalization, urbanization and the representation of images. Her hybrid practice is to create a discursive space for filmmaking, art and research. |
In recent years, she has been concerned with China’s unprecedented growth and rapid urban changes, in experimenting with new documentary modes, narrations and methods. In her latest research project Of Haunted Spaces (funded by the Austrian Science Fund FWF), she is developing an essay film on Chinese Ghost cities. This film project follows her film-making on urban scapes effected by the consequences of global capitalism, such as SUBVERSES China in Mozambique (2011) on infrastructure investments in Africa or Double Happiness (2014) about the clone of an Austrian village in China.
Raidel’s works has participated in international biennials, exhibitions, conferences, and presented at numerous International film festivals, among those International Film Festival Rotterdam, CPH:DOX Copenhagen International Documentary Film Festival, DOK Leipzig, Hot Docs Canada, and Chicago International Film Festival.
Her writings focus on Sinophone cinema, and she publicized on the Malaysian born director Tsai Ming-Liang. As a postdoctoral research fellow at Academia Sinica Taipei (2013/14), Institute of Chinese Literature and Philosophy, she co-edited with Prof. Peng Hsiao-yen Politics of Memory in Sinophone Cinema and Image Culture. Altering Archives published at Routledge Contemporary China Series (London, New York: 2018).
Prior to her joint appointment at NTU as an Asst. Professor for Documentary at ADM and WKWSCI, Ella Raidel has been working as a Senior postdoctoral researcher at Art University Linz, Austria (2016-2019).
|Experimental Cinema, Sinophone Cinema, Contemporary Aesthetics, Contemporary Art, Interdisciplinary Research Urban Studies|
- Performing Reality: An Art-based Research in the Performative Documentary Filmmaking of East and Southeast Asia
- Play Life: The Performative Documentary Filmmaking as the Discourse of Our Times, including its history, aesthetic endeavours, the researcher’s artistic practice, and the critical relation to the times of Anthropocene.
- Peng Hsiao-yen, Ella Raidel. (Ed.). (2017). The Politics of Memory in Sinophone Cinemas and Image Culture. Altering Archives.United Kingdom: Routledge.
- Ella Raidel.(2017). The Missing and the Fictional Memory: Leitmotifs of Tsai Ming Liang’s Oeuvre. The Politics of Memory in Sinophone Cinemas and Image Culture.Altering Archives(147-163). London: Routledge.
- Ella Raidel. (2017). The Exhausted Narrative in Tsai Ming-Liang's Films. Frontiers of Literary Studies in China, 11(2), 329-351.
- Ella Raidel. (2010). Subversive Realitäten. Tsai Ming-Liang und seine Filme. Marburger Schriften zur Medienforschung , Schüren.
« Back to Research Directory