|Asst Prof Zhao Dan|
Division of Aerospace Engineering
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4442
- PhD (Mech & Aerospace Eng) University of Cambridge, Darwin Coll. 2009
- MSc (Thermal Power & Fluid Eng) University of Manchester (UMIST) 2004
- BEng (Thermal Power) Northeast Dianli University 2002
|Dr Zhao Dan received his MSc degree in Thermal Power and Fluids Engineering from the University of Manchester in 2004. His PhD research began in 2005 at the University of Cambridge. It involves the field of Pulse combustion, acoustic noise, acoustic dampers (materials) and control. After graduation from Cambridge, Dr Zhao Dan has been worked as a R&D/Project Engineer in Silixa Ltd (London) to develop new noise logging techniques to monitor the pipe flow in Oil & Gas industry. He is also a member of the Acoustical Society of America and an associate fellow of Royal Aeronautical Society. His research interests are Pulse combustion Drying, combustion instabilities Control (passive and active), flow noise measurement and control, Aeroacoustic measurement of aerial vehicles (acoustic imaging), acoustic dampers, signal processing and flow measurements.|
|1. Pulse combustion Drying|
2. Control of Combustion instabilities (active, passive or tuned passive control)
2. Signal Processing
3. Flow measurement using noise logging technique
4. Aeroacoustic Measurements of Aerial Vehicles and High speed Vehicles (Acoustic imaging with Camera)
5. Acoustic dampers/materials
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2011-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2014-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
|Current Projects |
- Systematic Investigation of Thermo-acoustic energy conversion
- Systematic investigation of combustion instabilities
- Systematic study of Vorticity-induced damping effect of acoustically-excited flow through an orifice
- D. Zhao. (2011). Numerical Investigation of Transmission Loss by Coupled Helmholtz Resonator Network. 17th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (32nd AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference).
- D. Zhao, A. S. Morgans, and A. P. Dowling. (2011). Tuned passive control of the acoustic damping of perforated liners. AIAA Journal, 49(4).
- D. Zhao. (2010). APISAT (2010): Feedback Control of Combustion Oscillations Using a Helmholtz Resonator with an Oscillating Volume. Asia-Pacific International Symposia on Aerospace Technology (APISAT)Xi’An, China.
- Morgans, A. S. and Zhao. D. (2010). 17th International Congress on Sound & Vibration: Tuned passive control of combustion instabilities. 17th International Congress on Sound & VibrationCairo.
- Zhao, D, A'Barrow, C, Morgans, A. S., Carrotte, J. (2009). Acoustic Damping of a Helmholtz Resonator with an Oscillating Volume. AIAA Journal, 47(7), 1672-1679.