|Asst Prof Zhao Dan|
Division of Aerospace Engineering
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4442
- PhD (Mech & Aerospace Eng) University of Cambridge, Darwin Coll. 2009
- MSc (Thermal Power & Fluid Eng) University of Manchester (UMIST) 2004
- BEng (Thermal Power) Northeast Dianli University 2002
|Dr Zhao Dan received his MSc degree in Thermal Power and Fluids Engineering from the University of Manchester in 2004. His PhD research began in 2005 at the University of Cambridge. It involves the field of Pulse combustion, acoustic noise, acoustic dampers (materials) and control. After graduation from Cambridge, Dr Zhao Dan has been worked as a R&D/Project Engineer in Silixa Ltd (London) to develop new noise logging techniques to monitor the pipe flow in Oil & Gas industry. He is also a member of the Acoustical Society of America and an associate fellow of Royal Aeronautical Society. His research interests are Pulse combustion Drying, combustion instabilities Control (passive and active), flow noise measurement and control, Aeroacoustic measurement of aerial vehicles (acoustic imaging), acoustic dampers, signal processing and flow measurements.|
|1. Pulse combustion Drying|
2. Control of Combustion instabilities (active, passive or tuned passive control)
2. Signal Processing
3. Flow measurement using noise logging technique
4. Aeroacoustic Measurements of Aerial Vehicles and High speed Vehicles (Acoustic imaging with Camera)
5. Acoustic dampers/materials
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2011-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2014-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
|Current Projects |
- Systematic Investigation of Thermo-acoustic energy conversion
- Systematic investigation of combustion instabilities
- Systematic study of Vorticity-induced damping effect of acoustically-excited flow through an orifice
- Dan Zhao. (2014). Thermodynamic measurement and analysis of dual-temperature Rijke-Zhao thermoacoustic oscillations for energy harvesting application. Energy, 65, 517-526.
- J.Li, J. Huang and Dan Zhao. (2014). Experimental study of N-heptane/air combustion in meso-scale burners with porous media. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 52, 47-58.
- X. Li and Dan Zhao. (2013). Experimental evaluation of anti-sound approach in damping self-sustained thermoacoustic oscillations. Journal of Applied Physics, 114, 204903.
- Dan Zhao and S. Li. (2013). Heat flux and acoustic power in a convection-driven T-shaped thermoacoustic system. Energy Conversion and Management, 75, 336-347.
- Dan Zhao. (2013). Waste thermal energy harvesting from a convection-driven Rijke-Zhao thermo-acoustic-piezo system. Energy Conversion and Management, 66, 87-97.