|Dr. Zheng Liu received his B.S. degrees (2005) at Nankai University (China), and completed his Ph.D at National Center for Nanoscience and Technology (NCNST), China, under the guidance of Prof. Lianfeng Sun. He then worked in Prof. Pulickel M. Ajayan and Prof. Jun Lou’s groups as a joint postdoc research fellow (2010~2012) and research scientist (2012~2013) at Rice University. Dr. Zheng Liu's research focus on the synthesis, characterizations and applications of novel two-dimensional (2D) crystals, including nitrides (hexagonal boron nitride, h-BN), oxides, transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs, MoS2, WS2, MoSe2 etc.) He has made great contributions to the 2D materials based nanoelectronics, active nano-systems and high performance energy components, e.g. graphene/h-BN resonators, graphene photodetectors, high-density capacitors, ultrafast lithium storage. He has published more than 50 peer-reviewed papers in top journals such as Nat Mater, Nat Nanotech, Nat Comm, Nano Lett, Adv Mater, JACS, ACS Nano, Small etc. These work have been reported by the impact media such as Science daily, IEEE spectrum etc., and highlighted by the top journals such as Nat Phys, Nat Nanotech, Chem Int Ed, etc. He was a recipient of the 2012 World Technology Award in Energy category. This award has been presented as a way to honor those in doing "the innovative work of the greatest likely long-term significance." He was awarded the Singapore NRF Fellowship in 2013.|
- Ilya Belopolski, Daniel S. Sanchez, Yukiaki Ishida, Xingchen Pan, Peng Yu, Su-Yang Xu, Guoqing Chang, Tay-Rong Chang, Hao Zheng, Nasser Alidoust, Guang Bian, Madhab Neupane, Shin-Ming Huang, Chi-Cheng Lee, You Song, Haijun Bu, Guanghou Wang, Shisheng Li, Goki Eda, Horng-Tay Jeng, Takeshi Kondo, Hsin Lin, Zheng Liu, Fengqi Song, Shik Shin & M. Zahid Hasan. (2016). Discovery of a new type of topological Weyl fermion semimetal state in MoxW1-xTe2. Nature Communications, 7(13643).
- Fucai Liu, Lu You, Kyle L. Seyler, Xiaobao Li, Peng Yu, Junhao Lin, Xuewen Wang, Jiadong Zhou, Hong Wang, Haiyong He, Sokrates T. Pantelides, Wu Zhou, Pradeep Sharma, Xiaodong Xu, Pulickel M. Ajayan, Junling Wang, Zheng Liu. (2016). Room-temperature ferroelectricity in CuInP2S6 ultrathin flakes. Nature Communications, 7, 12357.
- Xuewen Wang, Xuexia He, Hongfei Zhu, Linfeng Sun, Wei Fu, Xingli Wang, Lai Chee Hoong, Hong Wang, Qingsheng Zeng, Wu Zhao, Jun Wei, Zhong Jin, Zexiang Shen, Jie Liu3, Ting Zhang and Zheng Liu. (2016). Sub-atom Deformation Driven by Vertical Piezoelectricity from CdS Ultra-thin Films. Science Advances, 2(7), e1600209.
- Yongji Gong, Junhao Lin, Xingli Wang, Gang Shi, Sidong Lei, Zhong Lin, Xiaolong Zou, Gonglan Ye, Robert Vajtai, Boris I. Yakobson, Humberto Terrones, Mauricio Terrones, Beng Kang Tay, Jun Lou, Sokrates T. Pantelides, Zheng Liu, Wu Zhou, Pulickel M. Ajayan. (2014). Vertical and In-Plane Heterostructures from WS2/MoS2 Monolayers. Nature Materials, 13, 1135-1142.
- Z. Liu, Y.J. Gong et al. (2013). Ultrathin high-temperature oxidation-resistant coatings of hexagonal boron nitride. Nature Communications, 4, 2541.