|Assoc Prof Lin Weisi|
Division of Visual & Interactive Computing
School of Computer Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 6651
- PhD King's College Ldn, University of London 1993
- MS Zhongshan University 1985
- BS Zhongshan University 1982
|Weisi Lin graduated from Zhongshan University, China with B.Sc in Electronics and M.Sc in Digital
Signal Processing in 1982 and 1985, respectively, and from King’s College, London University, UK with Ph.D in
Computer Vision in 1992. He taught and researched in Zhongshan University, Shantou University (China), Bath University (UK), National University of Singapore, Institute of Microelectronics (Singapore), and Institute for Infocomm Research (Singapore). He has been the project leader of 12 successfully delivered projects in digital multimedia technology development. He also serves as the Lab Head, Visual Processing, and then the Acting Department Manager, Media Processing, in Institute for Infocomm Research. His areas of expertise include perception-inspired signal modeling, perceptual multimedia quality evaluation, video compression, image processing & analysis. He holds seven patents, wrote 6 book chapters, edited a book, published over 190 refereed papers in international journals and conferences, and made more than ten contributions to international standardization. He is a Chartered Engineer, a Fellow of IET, and an Honorary Fellow of Singapore Institute of Engineering Technologists. He believes that good theory is practical so has kept a balance of academic research and industrial deployment throughout his working life.
|image processing, perceptual modeling, video compression, multimedia communication and computer vision|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2010-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2012-)
- NTU Internal Funding - College of Engineering (2012-2013) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- Start Up Grant (2007-)
- Start Up Grant (2008-)
|Current Projects |
- Audiovisual Quality Evaluation Model for Multimedia Communications
- Methodological Investigation for Automatic Detection of Primary Angle Closure Condition (PAC) and PAC induced Glaucoma
- Multi-Linear Anaysis for Video Shot Categorization
- Peer Assisted Video-on-Demand with Bandwidth and Coding Awareness
- Real-Time Big Data Analytics Based New Paradigm in Internet of Things
- Video Categorization and Representation for Next-generation Compression
- Visual Manipulations for Heterogonous Client Devices
- Visual-Attention Inspired Model in Target Search and Location in Cluttered Environment
- C. Deng, W. Lin, B. –S. Lee and C. T. Lau. (2010). IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME): ROBUST IMAGE COMPRESSION BASED ON COMPRESSIVE SENSING. (pp. oral presentation, acceptance rate 15%).
- S. Wu, W Lin，and S. Xie. (2008). Skin Heat Transfer Model of Facial Thermograms and Its Application in Face Recognition. Pattern Recognition, .
- Lin Weisi. (2006). Computational Models for Just-noticeable DifferenceDigital Video Image Quality and Perceptual Coding..
- Lin Weisi, L. Dong. (2006). Adaptive Down-sampling to Improve Image Compression at Low Bit Rates. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 15(9), 2513-2521.
- Z. Lu, Lin Weisi, X. Yang, E. Ong, S. Yao. (2005). Modeling Visual Attention's Modulatory Aftereffects on Visual Sensitivity and Quality Evaluation. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 14(11), 1928-1942.