|Asst Prof Hee Wai Siam |
Division of Chinese
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD Peking University 2008
- MA Nanjing University 2002
- BSc (Comp) Technological, University of Malaysia 1997
|Dr. Hee is currently in the Division of Chinese since July 2008. He was awarded the Tan Kah Kee Postgraduate Scholarship by the Tan Kah Kee Foundation of Singapore to pursue the PhD. degree at Peking University in 2004. In 2005, he was awarded the Distinguished International Students Scholarship by the China Scholarship Council, in recognition of his exceptional academic achievements in Peking University. In 2006 and 2007, he was awarded the Resident Graduate Scholarship by the David C. Lam Institute for East-West Studies to undertake research at Hong Kong Baptist University. In 2007, his article won the best paper award at the conference "A Study on Modern and Contemporary Literary Media in Taiwan." jointly organized by the National Museum of Taiwan Literature and Wen-Hsun magazine in Taiwan.|
|Dr. Hee's areas of expertise include gender and sexuality in Chinese Culture, Chinese film studies, and modern Chinese print culture. His current research focuses on "Rewriting the early history of Sinophone Cinemas in Singapore and Malaya (1926-1965)". His research also covers modern and contemporary Chinese literature and Sinophone literature.|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2013-)
|Current Projects |
- Rewriting the early history of Sinophone Cinemas in Singapore and Malaya (1926-1965)
- Hee Wai Siam. (2013). On Zhang Jing-sheng’s Sexual Discourse: Women’s Liberation and Translated Discourses on Sexual Differences in 1920s China. Frontiers of Literary Studies in China , 7(2), 235-270.
- Hee Wai Siam. (2013). Sinophone Community in Singapore: A Case Study on the Films of Jack Neo and Royston Tan. （《华语语系社群在新加坡：以梁智强和陈子谦的电影为例》）. Modern Chinese Literature, (23), 83-110.
- Hee Wai Siam. (2013). Fetishism, commodity fetishism and the quest for knowledge: Focusing on The Work of Nature, The Work of Man: A Practical Guide to Imaginary Inventions by Dung Kai-cheung (《拜物、恋物与格物：以董启章《天工开物.栩栩如真》为中心》). The Study of Chinese Language and Literature, 4(2(14)), 33-42.
- Hee Wai Siam. (2012). “Soul Revival Through The Body of ‘Chang’: Li Tian-bao’s Performative on Eileen Chang”(《借“张”还魂，“癖”字当头：李天葆对张爱玲的操演》)Legend. Gender. Genealogy: Eileen Chang.（《张爱玲：传奇、性别、谱系》）. (pp. 685-708). Taiwan: Linking Press（联经出版社）.
- Hee Wai Siam. (2012). “Exploring the Auteur Theory in Tsai Ming-Liang’s films” (《从作者论看蔡明亮》)《马华文学与现代性》. (pp. 265-296). Taiwan: Independent & Unique.