|Prof Chen Wei Ning, William|
Division of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6316 2870
- DSc University of Louvain 1989
- BSc University of Louvain 1985
|As a scholar, Prof. Chen Wei Ning, William received his university education (both B.Sc. and Ph.D.) in Belgium. He joined NTU in 2002 as an Associate Professor, and is now a tenured Full Professor of Biomolecular Engineering in the School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering (SCBE). He has shown great dedication in supervising students at all levels, with 11 PhD and 7 MSc students graduated from his NTU lab since 2002. He was honoured at the 2010 NTU convocation for “Inspirational Mentorship”, in recognition of his effort in guiding the top CBE undergraduate student to be the recipient of both the Lee Kuan Yew Gold Medal and Koh Boon Hwee Scholar’s Awards. Professor Chen’s research is highly inter-disciplinary with a strong focus on cellular bioengineering platforms for clinical and pharmaceutical applications. His current research is in the area of metabolic and microbial engineering toward production of valuable chemicals including biofuels, as well as environmental engineering for resource recovery. Professor Chen is active as PI and Co-PI of external research grants, totalling more than S$11 million. He has published extensively with more than 126 papers in international journals and has been invited as a Plenary Speaker at various international conferences. Professor Chen is active in professional services including his role as Associate Editor and/or member on the Editorial Board of eight international journals (including PLoS ONE), and his involvement in organizing international conferences. He was the Organizing Chairman of The International Symposium on Synthetic Biology in 2010, an event widely reported in the Singapore media including a column analysis in The Straits Times. In addition to teaching and research, Professor Chen has made dedicated service contributions to SCBE, NTU and Singapore society at large.|
|1. Biomolecular Engineering for Environment-Host Interactions; 2. Proteomics Platform for Clinical Biomarkers; 3. Metabolic and Microbial Engineering for Valuable Chemicals; 4. Environmental Engineering for Resource Recovery; 5. Sustainable Production of Food Ingredients|
|Research Grant |
- Environment & Water Industry Development Council (2013-) [by Public Utilities Board (PUB)]
- NRF Competitive Research Program (2010-) [by National Research Foundation (NRF)]
|Current Projects |
- (none) Financial support for trip to Arlington under Office of Naval Research Global-NTU Joint R&D
- Chiral Drugs and Cellular Signaling: Protein and Metabolite Profiling
- Engineering biology for valuable fuels- Metabolic pathway engineering
- Engineering biology for valuable fuels- Synthesis of medium chain fatty acids in S.Cerevisiae
- Fouling in Submerged Anaerobic Membrane BioReactors (SAMBRs) - Flux, Cod and Virus Removal
- Signaling of RhO GTP-binding Proteins in HBV Replication
- Tang XL, Feng HX, and Chen W*. (2013). Metabolic engineering for enhanced citrate production in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Metabolic Engineering, 16C, 95-102.
- Tan JYL, Habib N, and Chen W*. (2012). A quantitative proteomics approach in the study of microRNA 181a in HepG2 cells. Current Proteomics, 9, 262-271.
- Bai J, Sadrolodabaee L and Chen W*. (2012). Recent Pharmacoproteomics Studies of Warfarin in the Asia-Pacific: A New Strategy for Personalized Medicine?. Current Pharmacogenomics and Personalized Medicine, 10, 322-331.
- Feng HX, Zhang JH, Tan J, Sadrolodabaee L and Chen W*. (2012). Proteomics-related Biomarkers for Hepatitis B Virus-Associated Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Current Status and Future Prospects. Future Virology, 7, 161-71.
- Zhao GL, Chen X, Wang L, Zhou SX, Feng HX, Lau R*, and Chen W*. (2012). Ultrasound assisted extraction of carbohydrates from microalgae as feedstock for yeast fermentation. Bioresource Technology, 128, 337-344.