|Prof Dorrit Vibeke Sorensen |
Chair, School of Art, Design and Media
School of Art, Design and Media
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Phone: (+65)6316 8821
Office: ART 3-14
- MA State University of New York at Buffalo 1976
- BA Royal Academy of Art and Architecture 1974
|Vibeke Sorensen is a professor and artist working in digital multimedia and computer animation, interactive architectural installation, and visual-music performance. Her work in experimental new media spans three decades and has been published and exhibited worldwide, including in books, galleries, museums, conferences, performances, film festivals, on cable and broadcast television, and on the internet. She has a long history of collaboration with scientists in developing new technologies, including at the San Diego Supercomputer Center, the California Institute of Technology, the University of Southern California (USC), and Princeton University. She has been a consultant for Disney and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory/NASA , and her research has been supported by the US National Science Foundation, the USC Annenberg Center for Communication and Zumberge Fund for Innovation in Research, as well as Intel Corporation. She is a 2001 Rockefeller Foundation Fellow in Film/Video/Multimedia, and the 2005 Knight Distinguished Visiting Lecturer at the University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada. From 1984-1994, she was Founding Director of the Computer Animation Laboratory (CAL) in the School of Film/Video at the California Institute of the Arts, and from 1994-2005 she was Professor and Founding Chair of the Division of Animation and Digital Arts (DADA) in the School of Cinematic Arts at the University of Southern California. In 2007, she was Chair of the ACM SIGGRAPH Art Gallery: Global Eyes, and from 2007 - 2009, she was Professor and Chair of the Department of Media Study (DMS) at the University at Buffalo, the State University of New York. Currently, she is Professor and Chair of the School of Art, Design and Media at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.
For more information please see http://vibeke.info
|Digital cinema and multimedia art
Visual music and experimental animation
Stereoscopic digital photography/film/video
Interactive art and architectural installation
- new display technologies
- new materials
- embedded systems
- physical and ubiquitous computing
- ambient media and health esthetics
- wireless and mobile media
Low cost and sustainable computing/media
Traditional material cultures and digital media; global visual culture; alternative social networks.
Creativity; art and science; art and technology; transdisciplinarity.
Author of articles and chapters on digital art and new media.
|Research Grant |
|Current Projects |
- Start Up Grants
- Vibeke Sorensen. (2013). History of Computer AnimationA World History of Animation..
- Vibeke Sorensen. (2012, October ). Global Pixels: Multiculturalism in Computer Graphics. Paper presented at International Conference on Advances Science and Contemporary Engineering 2012, Bina Nusantara University, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Vibeke Sorensen. (2012, October ). Multidimensions of Visual Music. Paper presented at International Symposium on Visual Music, the Centre for Asian Art and Design, NTU.
- Vibeke Sorensen. (2012, June ). 3D and Multidimensional Dreams. Paper presented at First International Symposium, "3D and BEYOND", ZKM Karlsruhe, Germany.
- Vibeke Sorensen. (2012). Educating, Advancing and Creating Art at NTU.NTU Link, 2-6.