|Assoc Prof Kwan Sze Pui Uganda |
Division of Chinese
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD U.of Lond,Sch of Oriental & African Stud 2007
- MPhil Hong Kong Univ of Science & Technology 2000
- BA(Hons) The Chinese University of Hong Kong 1997
|Uganda Sze Pui Kwan is an assistant professor at the Chinese Division of Nanyang Technological University.|
She was the visiting research fellow of the University College London in 2010 and was project associate professor at the University of Tokyo in 2009.
She has been appointed as the Honorary Research Associate at Research Centre of Translation at the Chinese University of Hong Kong since 2009 and is currently the associate editor of the journal _Studies in Translation History_.
Her research interests include modern Chinese literature and translation studies. She has so far published for more than 40 pieces of journal articles and book chapters in English, Chinese and Japanese. She is currently working on two monographs about the British interpreters in Asia in the 19th Century.
|20th Century Chinese literature;
The history of translation in the 20th century China;
Comparative literature on Japanese literature and Chinese literature in the late 19th to early 20 century;
Hong Kong literature and culture.
|Research Grant |
- CoHASS Incentive Scheme (2011-)
- RCC (2009-)
- Start Up Grant (2008-)
- Start Up Grant (2009-)
|Current Projects |
- Film and Popular Culture in Asia
- Translation and Tranformation: A Comparative Study of the Modernization of Meiji Japan (1868-1912) and Late Qing China (1862-1912)
- Translation as a shaping force in the modernization of Chinese literature in the late Qing and early Republican China
- Kwan Sze Pui Uganda. (2008, November). The Reception of Haruki Murakami in Hong Kong (80-90s). Paper presented at Haruki Murakami in East Asia literary history, Tokyo University.
- Kwan Sze Pui Uganda. (2008, November). The Translation of the Term ‘Governor’ and the Politics of De/colonization in Colonial Hong Kong History. Paper presented at International conference on the Interaction of East Asia with the Print Culture in Chinese History, Shanghai: Fudan University.
- Kwan Sze Pui Uganda. (2008, October). THe Hong Kong image / imagination in the Singapore movie. Paper presented at Popular culture in Asia, Qingdao: Shangri-La Hotel.
- Kwan Sze Pui UGanda. (2008, October). The Transformation of the Style of Fiction in Late Qing. Paper presented at The 9th International Conference of Chinese Comparative Literature: “The Dialogue of Literature in Multi-cultural Interaction, Beijing: Beijing Foreign Studies University.
- KWAN Sze Pui Uganda. (2008). Memory and Modernity: The Forgetfulness and Remembrance of Lin Shu's Translation in the May Fourth Period. Modern China (Xiandai Zhongguo), 11(2008), 91-119.