|Prof Hao Xiaoming |
Division of Journalism and Publishing
Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Phone: (+65)6790 5012
Office: SCI 02-37
- PhD (Journalism & Mass Communication) University of Missouri 1993
- MA (Journalism) University of Missouri 1990
- MA Chinese Academy of Social Sciences 1982
- BA Capital Normal University 1975
|Dr Hao Xiaoming has been a faculty member of Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information since 1993. He recieved his bachelor degree from Capital Normal University of Beijing, PRC, a master's degree from the Chinese Academic of Social Sciences, and his second master's and PhD degrees from University of Missouri. His research interests include international communication, comparative media systems, social impact of new communication technologies, audience studies and media effects. His publications have appeared in numerous international refereed journals, including Communication Law and Policy, Feminist Media Studies, Gazette, Intercultural Communication Studies, Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, Journal of Communication, Journalism and Mass Communication Educator, Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly, Journal of Popular Film and Television, The Information Society and The Public. He was President of the Chinese Communication Association (2007-2008) and a member of International Communication Association.|
|Dr Hao Xiaoming's research interests include international communication, comparative media systems, social impact of new communication technologies, audience studies and media effects.|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (1998-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2006-)
- RCC (1997-)
- RCC (2001-)
- RCC (2005-)
- RCC (2007-)
|Current Projects |
- College Students' Involvement with Celebrities and their Intention to undergo Cosmetic Surgeries
- Effects of Electronic Word of Mouth on Consumers' Trust and Intention towards Online Purchasing
- Exposure to Ads and materialism among Youth in Singapore
- Mass Media, Public Opinion and Controversial Science: A Cross-Cultural Examination
- Press Performance, Policy and Impact
- Religion on screen: Packaging Buddhism and Taoism in Popular Films
- Social Media and Political Participation in Asia
- Hao, X., George, C., & Shi, C. (2013). Job Satisfaction of journalists: Professional Aspirations, Newsroom Culture and Social Context. Media Asia, 40(1).
- Hao, X.M. & George. C. (2012). Singapore Journalism: Buying into a Winning FormulaThe Global Journalist in the 21st Century..
- Ravi S. Sharma & Hao Xiaoming. (2012). Value-based Mobile Data Services Adoption: General Results of an On-going International Study. International Journal of Technology, Knowledge and Society, 8(3), 145-160.
- Hao, X. (2012). Asian Journal of Communication: Communication Research with an Asian focus for a Global Audience. Review of Communication, .
- Wen, N., George, C., & Hao, X. (2012, July ). Gender and Political Communication: News Consumption, Sense of Civic Duty, Political Knowledge and Efficacy. Paper presented at IAMCR conference, Duban, South Africa.