|Prof Ang Peng Hwa |
Division of Journalism and Publishing
Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Phone: (+65)6790 6109
Office: SCI 02-17
- PhD Michigan State University 1993
- MA University of Southern California 1988
- LLB(Hons) National University of Singapore 1982
|Ang Peng Hwa is Director of the Singapore Internet Research Centre at the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. His research interests lie in media law and policy and he has consulted on the subject for the governments of Singapore, Thailand and Bhutan.
He is the author of Ordering Chaos: Regulating the Internet (Thomson, 2005), which argues that the internet can be, is being and should be regulated. He was a member of 40-strong Working Group on Internet Governance that was appointed by then UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan to prepare a report for the 2005 World Summit on the Information Society. Most recently, he spent a year on sabbatical in Ahmedabad, India, to help start the doctoral-equivalent programme at the Mudra Institute of Communication, Ahmedabad.
A lawyer by training, he worked as a journalist before going on to pursue a Master’s in communication management at the University of Southern California and a Ph.D. in the mass media at Michigan State University.
In 2000, he was awarded a Fulbright fellowship at Harvard University; in 2001, he was a visiting scholar at Oxford University. Ang recently stepped down as chairman of the regional non-profit media organisation Asian Media Information and Communication Centre (AMIC) and is one of the two vice-presidents of the Consumers’ Association of Singapore (CASE), and legal advisor to the Advertising Standards Authority of Singapore (ASAS).
|Ang Peng Hwa's research area is internet governance and media law and policy.|
|Research Grant |
|Current Projects |
- Media Consumer Experience Survey
- Parental Knowledge, Monitoring and Self-disclosure of Adolescent Facebook Use in Singapore
- Social and Health Communications and Issues
- Ang, P. H., Tekwani, S., & Wang, G. (2012). Shutting Down the Mobile Phone and the Downfall of Nepalese Society, Economy and Politics. Pacific Affairs, 85(3), 547-561.
- Ang, Peng Hwa. (2005). Ordering Chaos: Regulating the Internet. Thomson Learning.
- Gunther, Albert C. and Peng Hwa Ang. (1996). Public Perceptions of Television Influence and Opinions About Censorship in Singapore. International Journal of Public Opinion Research, 18(3), 248-265.
- Ang, Peng Hwa and Berlinda Nadarajan. (1996). Censorship and the Internet: a Singapore Perspective. Communications of the ACM, 39(6), 72-78.