|Prof Ang Peng Hwa |
Division of Journalism and Publishing
Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Phone: (+65)6790 6109
Office: SCI 02-17
- PhD Michigan State University 1993
- MA University of Southern California 1988
- LLB(Hons) National University of Singapore 1982
|Ang Peng Hwa is a faculty member of the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information. He has a law degree from the NUS, a master’s in communication management from the University of Southern California, and a PhD in mass media from Michigan State University. His research is in the area of internet governance. His 2005 book, Ordering Chaos: Regulating the Internet (Thomson), argues that the internet can be, is being and should be regulated. In 2004, he was appointed by the UN Secretary General to the Working Group on Internet Governance to prepare a report for the 2005 meeting of the World Summit on Information Society. He later helped co-found the Global Internet Governance Academic Network (GigaNet) where he served as inaugural chair.
He currently serves as chairman of the Asian Media Information and Communication Centre (AMIC). He also sits on the Governing Council of the Mudra Institute of Communication, Ahmedabad in India. He plans to spend his 2008 sabbatical to help start the Mudra Institute of Communication Research at Ahmedabad.
|Ang Peng Hwa's research area is internet governance and media law and policy.|
|Research Grant |
|Current Projects |
- Media Consumer Experience Survey
- Social and Health Communications and Issues
- Chen, Xiaoyan and Peng Hwa Ang. (2008). Defamation Litigation and the Press in China. International Journal of Communications Law and Policy, 12(IJCLP Webdoc 4_12_20), 53-91.
- Chen, Xiaoyan and Peng Hwa Ang. (2008). Civil Defamation Law in China. Media & Arts Law Review, 13(1), 44-75.
- Liau, Albert Kienfie, Angeline Khoo, and Peng Hwa Ang. (2005). Factors Influencing Adolescent Engagement in Risky Internet Behavior. CyberPsychology and Behavior, 8(6), 513-520.
- Gunther, Albert C. and Peng Hwa Ang. (1996). Public Perceptions of Television Influence and Opinions About Censorship in Singapore. International Journal of Public Opinion Research, 18(3), 248-265.
- Ang, Peng Hwa and Berlinda Nadarajan. (1996). Censorship and the Internet: a Singapore Perspective. Communications of the ACM, 39(6), 72-78.