|The rapid advancement of nanotechnology in the past decades results in developments of individual units that can be assembled to form hyrarchical systems with varying complexity. Our lab focuses on the design, engineering, and development of hybrid nano/microscale devices from biological parts by utilizing protein engineering as assembly tool towards future healthcare and sustainable earth. |
Understanding the assembly mechanism of various protein-based nanocapsules and applying them as molecular carriers in medicine are our primary foci. In addition, we are interested in exploring novel applications for these nanocapsules. Three protein nanocapsules with unique properties are under investigation: E2, Ferritin, and Vault.
To address some aspects of the energy concerns, we are also working on incorporating photosynthetic organisms, chloroplasts, and light harvesting photosystems in the development of protein-based photovoltaic device.
- Cyanobacteria and Plant Chloroplasts: Comparative studies on light harvesting efficiency and incorporation into conductive polymer nanowire for the development of photosynthetic electrochemical cell
- Development of Targeted Ultra-sensitive Contrast Agent for Hepatocellular Carcinoma Detection and Treatment
- Development of a Chloroplast-based Photovoltaic Cell with Carbon Nanotube Electrode
- Investigation and understanding of nano-bio and nano-hybrid interfacial systems for energy and medical applications
- New Research Initiatives in Chemical and Bioengineering Areas
- Self assembly of pyruvate dehydrogenase E2 core protein from Bacillus stearothermophilus
- Towards Hybrid MRI Contrast Agent / Metal-based Drug Carrier with Minimal Adverse Effects
- Qiu H, Dong X**, Sana B, Peng T, Paramelle D, Chen P, Lim S*. (2013). Ferritin-templated synthesis and self-assembly of Pt nanoparticles on monolithic porous graphene network for electrocatalysis in fuel cell. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 5(3), 782.
- Sana B, Poh CL, Lim S (2012). (2012). Manganese-ferritin Nanocomposite as Ultrasensitive T2 Contrast Agent. Chemical Communications, 48(6), 862-864.
- Peng T, Lee H, Lim S. (2012). Isolating a Trimer Intermediate in the Self-assembly of E2 Protein Cage. Biomacromolecules, 13(3), 699-705.
- Meng F, Jiang L, Zheng K, Goh CF, Lim S, Hng HH, Boey F, Chen X. (2011). Protein-Based Memristive Nanodevices. Small, 7(21), 3016-3020.
- Li Y, Lim S*, Ooi CP. (2011). Fabrication of Cisplatin Loaded poly(Lactide-co-Glycolide) Composite Microspheres for Osteosarcoma Treatment. Pharmaceutical research, 29(3), 756-769.