|My principal research interest is earthquake geology, which uses geological layers and landforms to understand the geometries of active faults, the earthquakes they generate, and the crustal structure their movements produce. My early work on the San Andreas fault led to the discovery of how often and how regularly it produces large earthquakes in southern California.
More recently, my students and colleagues and I investigated Taiwan's multitude of active faults and figured out how their earthquakes are creating that mountainous island. We are currently exploring the earthquake geology of Myanmar (Burma). Our principal current research interest is the subductionmegathrust that produced the devastating giant Sumatran earthquakes and Indian Ocean tsunamis of 2004 and 2005. That research suggests that the megathrust is poised to produce yet another giant earthquake in western Sumatra.
I am also now involved in creation of the Earth Observatory of Singapore, which aims to conduct basic and applied research related to earthquake, tsunami, volcanic, and climate hazards.
- Feng, Lujia; Hill, Emma M.; Elósegui, Pedro; Qiu, Qiang; Hermawan, Iwan; Banerjee, Paramesh; Sieh, Kieh. (2015). Hunt for slow slip events along the Sumatran subduction zone in a decade of continuous GPS data. Journal of Geophysical research, 120(12), 8623–8632.
- Tsang, L.L.H., A.J. Meltzner, E.M. Hill, J.T. Freymueller, and K. Sieh. (2015). A paleogeodetic record of variable interseismic rates and megathrust coupling at Simeulue Island, Sumatra. Geophysical Research Letters, 42(24), 10585-10594.
- Tsang, Louisa L. H.; Meltzner, Aron J.; Philibosian, Belle; Hill, Emma M.; Freymueller, Jeffrey T.; Sieh, Kerry. (2015). A 15 year slow-slip event on the Sunda megathrust offshore Sumatra. Geophysical Research Letters, 42, 6630-6638.
- Meltzner, A.J., K. Sieh, H.-W. Chiang, C.-C. Wu, L.L.H. Tsang, C.-C. Shen, E.M. Hill, B.W. Suwargadi, D.H. Natawidjaja, B. Philibosian, and R.W. Briggs. (2015). Time-varying interseismic strain rates and similar seismic ruptures on the Nias-Simeulue patch of the Sunda megathrust.. Quaternary Science Reviews, 122, 258-281.
- Meltzner, Aron J.; Sieh, Kerry; Chiang, Hong-Wei; Wu, Chung-Che; Tsang, Louisa L. H.; Shen, Chuan-Chou; Hill, Emma M.; Suwargadi, Bambang W.; Natawidjaja, Danny H.; Philibosian, Belle; Briggs, Richard W. (2015). Time-varying interseismic strain rates and similar seismic ruptures on the Nias-Simeulue patch of the Sunda megathrust. Quaternary Science Reviews, 122, 258-281.