|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Wang Rong
Chair, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Director, Singapore Membrane Technology Centre
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering
Office: N1-01a-16/ N1-01a-22
- PhD Chinese Academy of Sciences 1992
- BE Zhejiang University 1984
|Dr Rong Wang is currently a Professor and Chair in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. She also holds the position of Director, Singapore Membrane Technology Centre (SMTC). She is the founding President of Membrane Society in Singapore (MEMSIS).|
Dr Wang received her Bachelor degree from Zhejiang University, China in 1984 and PhD degree from Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) in 1992. Prior to joining CEE, NTU, she was a Senior Research Scientist/Group Leader/Deputy Centre Director/Centre Director at the Institute of Environmental Science & Engineering (IESE), Singapore. She also worked at the Institute of Processing Engineering (IPE), CAS as an Assistant Professor/Associate Professor before joining IESE in 1999.
Dr Wang has over 25 years of experience in Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Water and Energy related R&D. She specializes in novel membrane preparation and characterization for water and wastewater treatment, liquid purification and gas separation, and in development of novel hybrid membrane systems and process simulation.
Dr Wang has over 200 SCI tracked journal publications (cited times: >7100, h-index: 48 @Web of Science) and over 100 conference contributions. She is the inventor of 23 patents/ technical disclosures for novel membrane fabrication. One patent led to the setup of a spin-off company, Aquaporin Asia in 2011 for biomimetic membrane commercialization. She has co-authored 12 book chapters. She is an Editor of Journal of Membrane Science, and also on the editorial board of Desalination. Dr Wang was a co-recipient of the Minister for National Development R&D Award (Merit) 2013 in Singapore. She was featured among the top 25 leading water researchers globally by Lux Research 2013. In 2016, Dr Wang won a prestigious award, “the Alternative Water Resources Prize” under the Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz International Prize for Water (PSIPW) 2016.
|Dr Wang's main research interests cover membrane science & technology, chemical & environmental engineering processes. She focuses on |
(1) Development of various novel membranes such as forward osmosis (FO)/pressure retarded osmosis (PRO) hollow fiber membranes, biomimetic membranes, low pressure nanofiltration (NF) membranes, hydrophobic membrane distillation (MD) membranes, extractive membranes and mixed matrix membranes for membrane-based separation & purification processes for water and energy productions;
(2) Membrane surface modification for fouling control in water & wastewater treatments; modification of microporous membranes to enhance membrane surface hydrophobicity for MD and membrane contactor applications;
(3) Brine processing by membrane distillation crystallization and membrane distillation module design;
(4) Simulation and optimization of various membrane processes such as forward osmosis membrane process for seawater desalination; CO2 capture in membrane contactors; concentration polarization in FO/UF membrane systems and separation of mixed gases in membrane modules, etc.
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2014-2017) [by MOE]
- Economic Development Board (EDB) Grant (2016-) [by Economic Development Board (EDB)]
- Environment & Water Industry Development Council (2014-) [by Environment & Water Industry Development Council (EWI)]
- Environment & Water Industry Development Council (2014-2018) [by Environment & Water Industry Development Council (EWI)]
- Environment & Water Industry Development Council (2016-) [by Environment & Water Industry Development Council (EWI)]
- Hyundai Engineering and Construction Co., Ltd. (2015-)
- Johnson Matthey PLC (2014-) [by Johnson Matthey PLC]
- National Environment Agency (2017-) [by National Environmental Agency (NEA)]
- PUB-NTU (2017-) [by Public Utilities Board (PUB)]
- Start Up Grant (2015-2019) [by Nanyang Technological University]
- A Novel Energy-Efficient Sewage Treatment Train for High-Quality Energy Recovery
- Aquaporin Based Biomimetic Membranes For Water Reuse and Desalination
- Bio-mimicry Based Control of Membrane Biofouling
- Biomimetic Water Desalination Process: Learning from Mangrove
- Development and Application of High-Performance Air Separation Membranes for Oxygen-Enhanced Waste-To-Energy Incineration
- Development of High-Performance Membranes for the Recovery of Methane from Anaerobic Digestion Process
- Development of Novel Membranes
- Development of SMTC
- Development of a Novel System for Desalination Using Forward Osmosis Membrane
- Environmental Technology of Brine and Reject Streams_Project 174:Brine Processing By Membrane Distillation Crystallization
- Forward Osmosis Membranes For Desalination
- Impacts of New Antifouling Additives on Ultrafiltration Membrane Fabrication, Reverse Osmosis Feed Solution and Membrane Performance
- Integration of Novel Forward Osmosis Membranes and Optimized Bioprocess for Water Reclamation
- Low Energy Hybrid Desalination Process Development Using Forward Osmosis (FO) Membrane
- Membrane Distillation: Module Design Optimisation Through Modelling And Evaluation
- PhD Studentship Agreement-Chew Guan Pin-Performance Enhancement of Membrane Distillation Process
- PhD Studentship Agreement-Xu Yilin-CO2 Removal from Biogas Using Membrane Contactor
- Pilot-Scale Study of Pressure-Retarded Osmosis for Osmotic Power Harvesting
- Research on the Impact of Oil and Surfactants in Seawater to Innovative Membrane Distillation Systems for Desalination and Methods of Resolution
- Robust and High Performance Aquaporin-Based Biomimetic Membranes for Water Reuse, Desalination and Energy Recovery
- Synthetic Channel-Based Biomimetic Membranes for Desalination
- Tranch-3 Development of NEWRI
- Turning Membrane Biofouling on Its Head by using Engineered Biofilms with a Tunable Thickness
- Jing Wei, Ye Li, Laurentia Setiawan, Rong Wang *. (2016). Influence of macromolecular additive on reinforced flat-sheet thin film composite pressure-retarded osmosis membranes. Journal of Membrane Science, 511(2016), 54-64.
- Xuesong Li, Shuren Chou, Rong Wang, Lei Shi, Wangxi Fang, G. Chaitra, Chuyang Y. Tang, Jaume Torres, Xiao Hu, Anthony G. Fane. (2015). Nature gives the best solution for desalination: Aquaporin-based hollow fiber composite membrane with superior performance. Journal of Membrane Science, 494, 68-77.
- Chang Liu, Lei Shi, Rong Wang. (2015). Crosslinked layer-by-layer polyelectrolyte nanofiltration hollow fiber membrane for low-pressure water softening with the presence of SO42− in feed water. Journal of Membrane Science, 486, 169-176.
- Fang Wangxi ; Shi Lei ; Wang Rong. (2013). Interfacially polymerized composite nanofiltration hollow fiber membranes for low-pressure water softening. Journal of Membrane Science, 430, 129-139.
- R. Wang*, L. Shi, C. Y. Tang, S. Chou, C. Qiu, A.G. Fane. (2010). Characterization of novel forward osmosis hollow fiber membranes. Journal of Membrane Science, 355, 158–167.