|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Martin Pumera
Division of Chemistry & Biological Chemistry
School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences
College of Science
- PhD Charles University 2001
- RNDr Charles University 2001
- MSc Charles University 1997
- BSc Charles University 1995
|Martin Pumera received his PhD at Charles University, Czech Republic, in 2001. Shortly thereafter, he joined Joseph Wang’s SensoChip Laboratory in the USA as a post-doctoral researcher, where he worked on the development of electrochemical lab-on-chip devices for space and security applications in cooperation with the Jet Propulsion Lab/Caltech. After receiving the Marie Curie Fellowship from the European Union, he joined the Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain, in 2004, where he developed nanomaterial-based electrochemical biosensors. In the summer of 2006, he joined the National Institute for Materials Science, Japan, for a tenure-track arrangement and stayed there until Spring 2008 when he accepted a tenured position at NIMS. From 2010, he is Nanyang Assistant Professor at School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, CBC, NTU.|
He has broad interests in electrochemistry and electrophoresis, in the areas of microsystems and nanotechnology.
Summary of publication activity:
267 articles in ISI peer-reviewed journals
95 # of articles with IF > 5
10 Chapters of books
Scientist Ranking (Essential Science Indicators, ISI):
# 2517 of 7988 top 1% Scientists in Chemistry (making it to the top 0.31%)
# 4683 of 7299 top 1% Scientists in Engineering
# 26721 of 71462 top 1% Scientists
Appointments and Memberships
Associate Editor: Science and Technology of Advanced Materials (STAM, IF 3.3).
Editorial Board: Chem. Rec. (IF 4.6), Electrophoresis (IF 3.6), Elecroanalysis (IF 2.8) (+8 other journals).
Special Issues (Guest Editor of 8 issues):
• 2013 Nanoscale (IF 5.7): "Micro and Nanomotors" (Pumera&Ordonez)
• 2013 Electrophoresis (IF 3.3): "Electrochemistry in CE and Lab on Chip" (Pumera&Escarpa)
• 2012 Int. J. Nanotech: "Nanotechnology in the Czech Republic" (Pumera)
• 2012 Chem Rec. (IF 4.6): "90 years of poloarography" (Pumera)
• 2011 Curr. Phys. Chem.: "Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology in DNA Detection" (Pumera)
• 2011 Electrophoresis (IF 3.3): "Electrochemistry in Microfluidics and Capillary Electrophoresis" (Pumera&Escarpa)
• 2009 Electrophoresis (IF 3.3): "Electrochemistry in Microfluidics and Capillary Electrophoresis" (Pumera&Escarpa)
• 2007 Talanta (IF 3.8): “Micro- and Nanotechnology in Electrochemical Detection Science” (Pumera&Escarpa)
1997-2001 Ph.D. (date of PhD award: 29.1.2001)
Doctor of philosophy degree at the Department of Analytical Chemistry at Faculty of Science, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic.
Title of PhD thesis: "The use of cyclodextrins and their newly synthesized derivatives in capillary electrophoresis"
PhD thesis resulted to 11 publications
Doctor of natural sciences degree at the Department of Analytical Chemistry at Faculty of Science, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic.
1995-1997 M. Sc.
Master degree at the UNESCO Laboratory of Environmental Electrochemistry at the Department of Analytical Chemistry at Faculty of Science, Charles University.
Master thesis resulted to 1 publication
1992-1995 B. Sc.
Bachelor degree at Faculty of Science, Charles University.
1988-1992 Specialized Chemistry College, Prague (main focus on analytical chemistry), Czech Republic
* Microrobots, nanomotors
* Analytical Chemistry
* Nanotechnology, Nanomaterials, Materials Chemistry
* Electrochemical NanoBiosensors
* Lab on a chip; Microfluidics, Electrophoresis
Creation of nano and micro scale materials based electrochemical biosensors, bioelectronics and biochips for ultrasensitive biosensing.
We perform both fundamental and applied research to gain deep understanding to the phenomena on nanoscale.
- A*STAR Individual Research Grant (AME Domain) (2017-) [by A*STAR Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC)]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2017-) [by MOE]
- EDB Industrial Postgraduate Programme (2017-) [by Robert Bosch (South East Asia) Pte Ltd]
- NRF CREATE (2014-)
- Advanced Autonomous Functional Nanorobots
- Advanced Batteries and Supercapacitors by 3D-Printing Technologies and Electrochemical Deposition Methods
- Electrochemical Multi-Scale Science, Engineering and Technology (EMSET)
- Electrochemical Sensors for Health & Environment Monitoring
- Graphene Nanosensor for Ultrasensitive Pesticide Detection on Lab-on-Chip
- Graphene-based Sensor for Highly Sensitive Detection of Explosives in the Sea Water for Detection of Underwater Mines
- IRP 2.3 Cambridge Centre for Carbon Reduction in Chemical Technology (C4T)
- Long-Range Communication and Interaction of Artificial Self-Propelled Nanomotors: Towards Artificial Intelligence of Selfpropulsed Nanomachines
- Multiple Mycotoxins Rapid Screening for Food Quality Control using Lab on Chip Devices
- NAP Grant (Seed Funding)
- Nanoarchitected Surfaces for Multiplex Detection of Biomolecules
- Simultaneous Detection of Multiple DNA Targets on Paramagnetic Beads Packed in Microfluidic Channels using Quantum Dots as Tracers
- Ultra Trace Detection of High Explosives by Micro-Total Analytical System with Dual Electrochemical Amperometric/Contactless Conductivity Detector
- Cavin Tan, Muhammad Zafir Mohamad Nasir, Adriano Ambrosi, and Martin Pumera. (2017). 3D Printed Electrodes for Detection of Nitroaromatic Explosives and Nerve Agents. Analytical Chemistry, 89(17), 8995-9001.
- Zdenek Sofer, David Sedmidubsky, Stepan Huber, Jan Luxa, Daniel Bousa, Chris Boothroyd and Martin Pumera*. (2016). Layered Black Phosphorus: Strongly Anisotropic Magnetic, Electronic, and Electron-Transfer Properties. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 55, 3382.
- Alex Yong Sheng Eng, Chun Kiang Chua, Martin Pumera. (2016). Facile labelling of graphene oxide for superior capacitive energy storage and fluorescence applications. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, .
- Tan Shu Min, Martin Pumera*. (2016). Bottom-up Electrosynthesis of Highly Active Tungsten Sulfide (WS3−x) Films for Hydrogen Evolution. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 8, 3948.
- Chun Kiang Chua, Adeline Huiling LooMartin Pumera. (2016). Nanostructured MoS2 Nanorose/Graphene Nanoplatelet Hybrids for Electrocatalysis. Chemistry - A European Journal, .