|Asst Prof Martin Pumera|
Nanyang Assistant Professor (NTU)
Division of Chemistry & Biological Chemistry
School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences
College of Science
- PhD Charles University 2001
- RNDr Charles University 2001
- MSc Charles University 1997
- BSc Charles University 1995
|Martin Pumera received his PhD at Charles University, Czech Republic, in 2001. Shortly thereafter, he joined Joseph Wang’s SensoChip Laboratory in the USA as a post-doctoral researcher, where he worked on the development of electrochemical lab-on-chip devices for space and security applications in cooperation with the Jet Propulsion Lab/Caltech. After receiving the Marie Curie Fellowship from the European Union, he joined the Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain, in 2004, where he developed nanomaterial-based electrochemical biosensors. In the summer of 2006, he joined the National Institute for Materials Science, Japan, for a tenure-track arrangement and stayed there until Spring 2008 when he accepted a tenured position at NIMS. From 2010, he is Nanyang Assistant Professor at School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, CBC, NTU.|
He has broad interests in electrochemistry and electrophoresis, in the areas of microsystems and nanotechnology.
Summary of publication activity:
205 articles in ISI peer-reviewed journals
63 # of articles with IF > 5
10 Chapters of books
Scientist Ranking (Essential Science Indicators, ISI):
# 2517 of 7988 top 1% Scientists in Chemistry (making it to the top 0.31%)
# 4683 of 7299 top 1% Scientists in Engineering
# 26721 of 71462 top 1% Scientists
Appointments and Memberships
Associate Editor: Science and Technology of Advanced Materials (STAM, IF 3.3).
Editorial Board: Chem. Rec. (IF 4.6), Electrophoresis (IF 3.6), Elecroanalysis (IF 2.8) (+8 other journals).
Special Issues (Guest Editor of 8 issues):
• 2013 Nanoscale (IF 5.7): "Micro and Nanomotors" (Pumera&Ordonez)
• 2013 Electrophoresis (IF 3.3): "Electrochemistry in CE and Lab on Chip" (Pumera&Escarpa)
• 2012 Int. J. Nanotech: "Nanotechnology in the Czech Republic" (Pumera)
• 2012 Chem Rec. (IF 4.6): "90 years of poloarography" (Pumera)
• 2011 Curr. Phys. Chem.: "Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology in DNA Detection" (Pumera)
• 2011 Electrophoresis (IF 3.3): "Electrochemistry in Microfluidics and Capillary Electrophoresis" (Pumera&Escarpa)
• 2009 Electrophoresis (IF 3.3): "Electrochemistry in Microfluidics and Capillary Electrophoresis" (Pumera&Escarpa)
• 2007 Talanta (IF 3.8): “Micro- and Nanotechnology in Electrochemical Detection Science” (Pumera&Escarpa)
1997-2001 Ph.D. (date of PhD award: 29.1.2001)
Doctor of philosophy degree at the Department of Analytical Chemistry at Faculty of Science, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic.
Title of PhD thesis: "The use of cyclodextrins and their newly synthesized derivatives in capillary electrophoresis"
PhD thesis resulted to 11 publications
Doctor of natural sciences degree at the Department of Analytical Chemistry at Faculty of Science, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic.
1995-1997 M. Sc.
Master degree at the UNESCO Laboratory of Environmental Electrochemistry at the Department of Analytical Chemistry at Faculty of Science, Charles University.
Master thesis resulted to 1 publication
1992-1995 B. Sc.
Bachelor degree at Faculty of Science, Charles University.
1988-1992 Specialized Chemistry College, Prague (main focus on analytical chemistry), Czech Republic
* Microrobots, nanomotors
* Analytical Chemistry
* Nanotechnology, Nanomaterials, Materials Chemistry
* Electrochemical NanoBiosensors
* Lab on a chip; Microfluidics, Electrophoresis
Creation of nano and micro scale materials based electrochemical biosensors, bioelectronics and biochips for ultrasensitive biosensing.
We perform both fundamental and applied research to gain deep understanding to the phenomena on nanoscale.
|Research Grant |
- MINDEF-NTU Joint Applied R&D Co-operation Programme (JPP) (2010-)
- MINDEF-NTU Joint Applied R&D Co-operation Programme (JPP) (2012-)
- NTU-JSPS Joint Research Project (2012-)
- SMA Graduate Fellowship Research Supplement (2013-)
- Start Up Grant (2010-)
|Current Projects |
- Graphene-based Sensor for Highly Sensitive Detection of Explosives in the Sea Water for Detection of Underwater Mines
- NAP Grant (Seed Funding)
- Nanoarchitected Surfaces for Multiplex Detection of Biomolecules
- Simultaneous Detection of Multiple DNA Targets on Paramagnetic Beads Packed in Microfluidic Channels using Quantum Dots as Tracers
- Ultra Trace Detection of High Explosives by Micro-Total Analytical System with Dual Electrochemical Amperometric/Contactless Conductivity Detector
- Guanjia Zhao, Samuel Sanchez, Oliver G. Schmidt and Martin Pumera. (2013). Poisoning of bubble propelled catalytic micromotors: the chemical environment matters. Nanoscale, 5(7), 2909-2914.
- Adriano Ambrosi, Alessandra Bonanni, Zdeněk Sofer, Martin Pumera. (2013). Large-scale quantification of CVD graphene surface coverage. Nanoscale, 5(6), 2379-87.
- Guanjia Zhao and Martin Pumera. (2013). Concentric bimetallic microjets by electrodeposition. RSC Advances, 3(12), 3963-3966.
- Guanjia Zhao, Adriano Ambrosi, Martin Pumera. (2013). Self-propelled Nanojets via Template Electrodeposition. Nanoscale, 5(4), 1319-24.
- Her Shuang Toh, Adriano Ambrosi, Martin Pumera. (2013). Electrocatalytic Effect of ZnO Nanoparticles on Reduction of Nitroaromatic Compounds. Catal. Sci. Technol, 3(1), 123-127.