|Prof Peter Preiser is the Chair of the School of Biological Sciences and a Professor of Molecular Genetics & Cell Biology at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He obtained his Doctor of Philosophy in Biology from University of Delaware, USA, in 1981 . After his postdoctoral appointment at Worcester Foundation for Experimental Biology, USA, Prof Preiser joined London’s National Institute for Medical Research as a Senior Research Scientist. In 2003 he left London to join NTU’s School of Biological Sciences (SBS) as an Associate Professor and was later promoted to full Professor in 2009. |
His research interest focus on the molecular mechanisms by which the malaria parasite is able to avoid host immunity and adapt to changes in the host cell environment. He has extensive experience in malaria biology and developing quantitative proteomic approaches along with transcriptional profiling to understand complex biological processes in relation to host parasite interaction.
Also an active member of the infectious disease inter-disciplinary research group with the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART), Prof Preiser has collaborated with top research institutes around the world and has published over 100 top-quality international journal papers.
Prof Preiser has often been invited as an expert reviewer for numerous local/international funding agencies and international journals including Science, Nature Medicine, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences and so on. He has served as an external examiner for Ngee Ann Polytechnic and has organised a number of international meetings in Singapore.
- Stacey A Lapp, Sachel Mok, Lei Zhu, Hao Wu, Peter R Preiser, Zbynek Bozdech, Mary R Galinski. (2015). Plasmodium knowlesi gene expression differs in ex vivo compared to in vitro blood-stage cultures. Malaria Journal, 14:110.
- Sachel Mok, Elizabeth A Ashley, Pedro E Ferreira, Lei Zhu, Zhaoting Lin, Tomas Yeo, Kesinee Chotivanich, Mallika Imwong, Sasithon Pukrittayakamee, Mehul Dhorda, [......], Charles J Woodrow, Olivo Miotto, Dominic P Kwiatkowski, François Nosten, Nicholas P J Day, Peter R Preiser, Nicholas J White, Arjen M Dondorp, Rick M Fairhurst, Zbynek Bozdech. (2015). Population transcriptomics of human malaria parasites reveals the mechanism of artemisinin resistance. Science, 347(6220), 431-435.
- Siau A, Huang X, Yam XY, Bob NS, Sun H, Rajapakse JC, Renia L, Preiser PR. (2014). Identification of a new export signal in Plasmodium yoelii: identification of a new exportome.. Cellular Microbiology, 16(5), 673–686.
- Harikishore A, Niang M, Rajan S, Preiser PR, Yoon HS. (2013). Small molecule Plasmodium FKBP35 inhibitor as a potential antimalaria agent. Scientific Reports, 3, 2501.
- Huang X, Liew K, Natalang O, Siau A, Zhang N, Preiser PR. (2013). The Role of Serine-Type Serine Repeat Antigen in Plasmodium yoelii Blood Stage Development.. PLoS ONE, 8(4), e60723.