| || |
Prof Peter Preiser
Acting Chair, School of Biological Sciences
Director, NTU Integrated Medical, Biological and Environmental Life Sciences
School of Biological Sciences
College of Science
|Professor Peter Rainer Preiser is Associate Provost (Graduate Education) at Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He is also concurrently the Director for CN Yang Scholars Programme and Deputy Director for Biosciences Research Centre at NTU.
Prof Preiser obtained his Doctor of Philosophy in Biology from University of Delaware, USA, in 1981 . After his postdoctoral appointment at Worcester Foundation for Experimental Biology, USA, Prof Preiser joined London’s National Institute for Medical Research as a Senior Research Scientist. In 2003 he left London to join NTU’s School of Biological Sciences (SBS) as an Associate Professor and was later promoted to full Professor in 2009. Prof Preiser still teaches at SBS’ Division of Genomics and Genetics.
Prof Preiser majors in parasitic diseases such as malaria. He has published seminal papers on the ability of malarial parasite to simultaneously invade a host cell and escape host immunity successfully. An active member of the infectious disease inter-disciplinary research group with the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART), Prof Preiser has collaborated with top research institutes around the world and has published over 60 top-quality international journal papers. Since joining NTU, Prof Preiser has won more than S$17 million competitive research funds, as Principal Investigator and Co-Principal Investigator.
Prof Preiser has often been invited as an expert reviewer for numerous international funding agencies and international journals including Science, Nature Medicine, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences and so on. He has served as an external examiner for Ngee Ann Polytechnic and has organised a number of international meetings in Singapore. Prof Preiser is also a member of the International Scientific Advisory Board for the Hartmut Hoffmann-Berling International Graduate School of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Heidelberg, Germany.
- Huang X, Liew K, Natalang O, Siau A, Zhang N, Preiser PR. (2013). The Role of Serine-Type Serine Repeat Antigen in Plasmodium yoelii Blood Stage Development.. PLoS ONE, 8(4), e60723.
- Gunalan K, Gao X, Yap SS, Huang X, Preiser PR. (2013). The role of the reticulocyte-binding-like protein homologues of Plasmodium in erythrocyte sensing and invasion. Cellular Microbiology, 15(1), 35-44.
- Gruber A, Manimekalai MSS, Preiser PR, Gruber G. (2012). Structural architecture and interplay of the nucleotide- and erythrocyte binding domain of the reticulocyte binding protein Py235 from Plasmodium yoelii. International Journal for Parasitology, 42(12), 1083-1089.
- Preiser P, Renia L, Cooke BM. (2012). Editorial--Singapore Malaria Network Meeting (SingMalNet) 2012.. International Journal for Parasitology, 42(12), 1047.
- Tibùrcio M, Niang M, Deplaine G, Perrot S, Bischoff E, Ndour PA, Silvestrini F, Khattab A, Milon G, David PH, Hardeman M, Vernick KD, Sauerwein RW, Preiser PR, Mercereau-Puijalon O, Buffet P, Alano P, Lavazec C. (2012). A switch in infected erythrocyte deformability at the maturation and blood circulation of Plasmodium falciparum transmission stages. Blood, 119(24), e172-80.