|Pär Nordlund is structural biologist at Nanyang Technological University as well as at Karolinska Institute, Sweden. His research is focused on establishing structural and mechanistic insights into disease related proteins, with a particular emphasis on proteins in cancer, inflammation and infectious disease. Early work focused on ribonucleotide reductase and protein phosphatases, where the group has provided extensive mechanistic understanding. More recently the group has developed a “systems structural biology” strategy where entire pathways are studied using structural and biochemical methodology. This approach has been applied to lipid signaling, receptor signaling, nucleotide metabolism and innate immunity, and the group has solved the structures of more than 60 proteins in these pathways in the last 7 years. In addition to providing detailed mechanistic insights, a number of these structures are used by Pharma to drive the development of novel drugs. |
The group has also developed expertise in membrane proteins and did in 2007 solve the first crystal structure of a human integral membrane protein (Martinez-Molina, Nature 2007). The group has a strong track record in developing protein science technologies, some which has been enabling for their systems structural biology approach and for their membrane protein projects.
In 2009 he established a laboratory at Nanyang Technological University, where the systems structural biology approach is being applied for herpes biology, lipid signaling and membrane transport processes. The group has also established a platform for fragment based ligand development in Singapore that allows for the rapid generation of high-quality chemical probes and experimental therapeutics, as well as a platform for high-throughput protein production (Headed by Dr. Tobias Cornvik). Both of these platforms are made available to academic research groups as well as industry.
Pär Nordlund is a members of the Nobel Assembly at the Karolinska Institute and the Chemistry Class at the Swedish Academy of Science, as well as a Reviewing Editor at Science Magazine. He is the funder of the biotech companies Evitra Proteoma AB and Sprint Biosciences AB.
- Lingyun Dai, Tianyun Zhao, Xavier Bisteau, Wendi Sun, Nayana Prabhu, Yan Ting Lim, Radoslaw M. Sobota, Philipp Kaldis, Pär Nordlund. (2018). Modulation of Protein-Interaction States through the Cell Cycle. Cell, 173(4).
- Chris Soon Heng Tan, Ka Diam Go, Xavier Bisteau, Lingyun Dai, Chern Han Yong, Nayana Prabhu, Mert Burak Ozturk, Yan Ting Lim, Lekshmy Sreekumar, Johan Lengqvist, Vinay Tergaonkar, Philipp Kaldis, Radoslaw M. Sobota, Pär Nordlund. (2018). Thermal proximity coaggregation for system-wide profiling of protein complex dynamics in cells. Science, 359(6380), 1170-1177.
- Ignacio Asial, Yue Xiang Cheng, Henrik Engman, Maria Dollhopf, Binghuang Wu, Pa¨r Nordlund, Tobias Cornvik. (2014). Engineering protein thermostability using a generic activity-independent biophysical screen inside the cell. Nature Communications, 4.
- Christian Löw, Yin Hoe Yau, Els Pardon, Caroline Jegerschöld, Lisa Wåhlin, Esben M. Quistgaard, Per Moberg, Susana Geifman-Shochat, Jan Steyaert, Pär Nordlund. (2013). Nanobody Mediated Crystallization of an Archeal Mechanosensitive Channel. PLoS ONE, 8(10), e77984.
- Daniel Martinez Molina, Rozbeh Jafari, Marina Ignatushchenko, Takahiro Seki, Andreas Larsson, Chen Dan, Usha S. L. Kunjamma, Yihai Cao, Pär Nordlund. (2013). Monitoring drug target engagement in cells and tissues using the cellular thermal shift assay. Science, .