|Asst Prof Peer Mohideen Sathikh |
Acting Associate Chair (Academic), School of Art, Design and Media
School of Art, Design and Media
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Phone: (+65)6514 1058
Office: ART 3-22
- MDes Royal College of Art 1992
- MDes (Industrial Des) Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay 1986
- BEng (MechEng) Hons Anna University, Madras 1984
|Peer Sathikh is presently Assistant Professor at the School of Art Design and Media (ADM). Peer obtained a Master of Design (MDesRCA) in industrial design from the Royal College of Art (RCA), London and a Master of Design in product design from Industrial Design Centre, Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai. He also has a Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) degree in Mechanical Engineering. He was awarded the Foreign and Commonwealth Scholarship to study at RCA. While at RCA, Peer won the Thorn EMI Award for his project on air travel and won the first International Student Internship Award from Sony to work at the Sony Design Centre in Tokyo.
In 1996 Peer co-founded Inovasia Design in Singapore. Peer has won several awards for work done as design consultant at Inovasia, such as the Good Design Award 2004 from the Chicago Athaenuem, USA and the Singapore Design Award.Peer is the Chairman of the Advisory Committee for the Product Design and Innovation Course at the Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Singapore and the member of the Advisory Committee for the Industrial Design Course at the Nanyang Polytechnic, Singapore.
Past President of the Designers Association Singapore (DAS), Peer is also a member of the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA), Product Design and Management Association (PDMA), USA and the Design Research Society (DRS), UK. He has been invited/guest speaker at design and product development conferences in Singapore, Japan and India, where he has given key note addresses and presented papers on the subject of design, design culture and branding.
|Peer Sathikh has research interest in three areas of design :
User Interface and Experience Design
Cultural and ethnographic influence on Product Design
Industrial Design Pedagogy
His move from design consultancy to an academic position at the School of Art, Design and Media (ADM)is to enable him to focus his energy to research in those areas, besides teaching.
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2011-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2013-) [by MOE]
- RCC (2009-)
|Current Projects |
- Documenting Unique Uses of Modern Mobile Phones
- Eden in Iraq: Ecological and Cultural Restoration Through Art, Design, and Environmental Science-Growing Beauty with the 7000 Year Old Marsh Arab Culture
- Exploring immersive experience in 3D entertainment: products ideas for the future
- Multi Purpose Scooter
- TOWARDS A BALANCED INTERACTION WITH ARTIFICIAL SYSTEMS THROUGH THE STUDY AND APPLICATION OF PRINCIPLES OF HUMAN INTERACTION
- Peer Mohideen Sathikh. (2013). A framework for interacting with artificial systems. 4th International Conference on Integrity, Reliability & Failure.
- Peer Mohideen Sathikh. (2013). Design for a city state: An overview of design education in Singapore. 2nd International Conference for Design Education Researchers, DRS//CUMULUS 2013.
- Peer Mohideen Sathikh. (2013). Mapping design curriculum in schools of design and schools of engineering: Where do the twains meet?. International Conference on Research into Design, ICoRD'13.
- Peer Mohideen Sathikh. (2012, July ). Culture: Catalyst in teaching design - Poster presentation. Paper presented at Biennial International Conference of Design Research Society 2012, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Peer Mohideen Sathikh. (2012). Cultivating Value Through Innovation. 16th Annual Conference of National Collegiate Inventors & Innovators Alliance.