|Asst Prof Nanci Takeyama|
School of Art, Design and Media
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Phone: (+65)6513 8246
Office: ART 2-5
- PhD Kobe Design University 2005
- MDes Kyushu University 2003
- BA (Architecture & Urbanism) Sao Paulo University 1989
|Dr. Nanci Takeyama has been teaching at the School of Art Design and Media Since 2008, . She received her Bachelor degree in Architecture and Urban Planning from Sao Paulo University, Masters degree from Kyushu University and Ph.D. in Design Research from the Kobe Design University. In her commercial career she has worked in very prestigious design offices like: DPZ-Sao Paulo (supervised by Alexandre Wollner, former student of Max Bill and Otl Aicher), Nippon Design Center- Tokyo (with Uehara Masashi, designer of the Toyota corporate identity), and Swiss typographer Helmut Schmid, former student of Emil Ruder. She also owned her own office in Sao Paulo, with major corporate clients in Brazil. Her works have been published in several design magazines and book such as, Design Discovery, Kyoto journal, Japan Typography Association Magazine, Graphics Saijiki and Japan Typography Association Annual.|
As a researcher Dr. Takeyama follows her mentor Prof. Sugiura Kohei's design philosophy. Her main research is on the meaning of Asian traditional forms and their applications in contemporary design methodologies. Her research field link design and anthropology, philosophy, mythology, psychology, cosmology to mention a few. Prof. Takeyama has lived and worked in Brazil, Japan, USA, Dubai and Singapore, she has presented and published her works at several international conferences and she is a member of Design Research Association, ICOGRADA, AIGA and CAA. Fluent in Portuguese, English, Japanese and Spanish
|Prof Nanci Takeyama research interests are on meanings of form, Sophia Perennis, Asian traditional arts and crafts, Asian design curriculum, design ethnography, visual anthropology, trans-disciplinary design, social design, cultural preservation, heritage management and new media.|
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2012-)
- NTU Internal Funding - New Initiative Funding - New Silk Road (2011-)
- RCC (2009-)
|Current Projects |
- From Anthropology To Design, A Heritage Management
- In search for a methodology, on the study of Semantics of traditional forms in Asia
- The meaning of traditional forms/symbols in Palaquins in Bali
- Visual culture identity in Singapore;a design exploration, exchange and dialogue withSoutheast Asian cultural heritage
- Huang Koo-pin, Nanci Takeyama, Kohei Sugiura, Kirti Trivedi, Sone Simatrang,. (2012). Mountain Floats to Connect This World and the Other. Research Institute of Asian Design.
- Nanci Takeyama. (2011). The Stupa, its shape and meaning in the SilkroadArchi-cultural translations through the Silkroad. (pp. 144-153)..
- Nanci Takeyama. (2011, July ). Bade, the funeral palanquin in Bali. Paper presented at International Symposium on Floats and Palanquins, a point of view of East Asia, Kokuhakuin University, Tokyo.
- Nanci Takeyama. (2011, June ). Holy Mountains and Waters in Balinese Cosmology. Paper presented at 4th South And Southeast Asia Association For The Study Of Culture And Religion, Royal University of Bhutan.
- Nanci Takeyama. (2010). Waters and Mountains in Balinese Palanquins. Research Institute of Asian Design, 01, 48-51.