|Assoc Prof Cai Yiyu|
Division of Mechatronics and Design
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5777
- PhD National University of Singapore 1996
- MSc Zhejiang University 1990
- BSc Nanjing University 1983
|He did his Ph D training in Engineering, MSc training in Computer Graphics & Computer-aided Geometry Design, and BSc training in Math. He is currently a tenured faculty with the School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering in NTU and holds a joint appointment with NTU's Institute for Media Innovation. Prior to that, he was a R&D specialist with the Kent Ridge Digital Labs, a senior software engineer with the Center for Information-enahnced Medicine (CIeMed) - a joint venture between John Hopkins Medical School and the Institute of System Sciences, and a lecturer with Zhejiang University.
He has been doing interdisciplinary research related to Interactive Digital Media (IDM). His research interest includes 3D based design, simulation, serious games, virtual reality, etc. He is also active in IDM application research for Engineering, Bio & Medical Sciences, Education, Arts, etc. His research has been supported by various public funding agencies and priviate companies such as National Science and Technology Board, Ministry of Education, Agency of Science, Technology and Research, Ministry of Information, Communication, and The Arts.
Together with his students or collaborators, he has edited 3 books and 4 journal special issues, and published over 160 papers in peer-reviewed international journals or international conferences. He has also invented or co-invented 6 patents (granted or pending approval). Part of his research was or is being exhibited in Singapore Art Museum, Singapore Science Center, Chinese National Science and Technology Museum, Shanghai Oriental Pearl Tower, etc. He has served as external examiners for a few funding agencies locally or overseas. He is also external examiners of Ph D/MEng dissertations for 4 universities. He was keynote speakers or invited speakers for numerous conferences, symposia and workshops. He is associate editor with the Journal Simulation and Gaming, and sits in editor boards of 2 international journals. He was co-president of the International Simulation and Gaming Association.
|His interest in Interactive & Digital Media (IDM) mainly includes Tactile/Haptic VR System Design, GPU-accelerated Digital Media Processing, Serious Games and Simulation, and Computer-aided Design.
He has been doing research in the intersection of IDM, and Bio & Medical Sciences covering from Computer-assisted Surgery to Volumetric Cellular Image Processing to Phase I/II Drug Clinical Trial Design to Protein Docking. In MedTech field, he pioneered the research and development on Cardiovascular and Intracardiac Interventional Simulation for pre-treatment planning and training application.
He is also active in industry-oriented research working closely with Engineering and Education sectors.
|Research Grant |
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2013-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2009-)
- Institute for Media Innovation Grant (2010-) [by Institute for Media Innovation]
- Institute for Media Innovation Grant (2013-)
|Current Projects |
- 3D Interactive Visualization of the Human Body In An Immersive Situation
- Advanced Analysis, Construction and Algorithms for T-splines
- Intelligent and Interactive Simulation for Industrial Heavy Lifting - Phase 2
- Intelligent and Interactive Simulation for Industrial Heavy Lifting- Phase 1
- Mobile Immersive Theatres
- Research on visualization and virtual reality
- Spatio-Temporal Tracking of Myocardial Deformation with Differential Surface Representation
- Virtual Pink Dolphins
- Visualising protein dynamic simulation and prediction
- Y Cai, N Chia, D Thalmann, N Kee, J Zheng, & N Thalmann. (2013). Design and Development of A Virtual Dolphinarium for Children with Autism. IEEE Transactions on Neural System and Rehabilitation Engineering, .
- Patricia Chiang, YY Cai, KH Mak, JM Zheng. (2012). A B-Spline Approach to Phase Unwrapping in Tagged Cardiac MRI for Motion Tracking. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, .
- Patricia Chiang, JM Zheng, KH Mak, Y Yu, CK Chui and YY Cai. (2012). A VR Simulator for Intra-Cardiac Interventional Procedure: Concept, Design and Implementation. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications Magazine, .
- Patricia Chiang, JM Zheng, KH Mak, NM Thalmann and YY Cai. (2012). Progressive Surface Reconstruction for Heart Mapping Procedure. Computer-Aided Design, 44(4), 289–299.
- YY Cai. (2011). Interactive & Digital Media for Education in Virtual Learning Environments. Nova Sciences Publishers.